Ruchika Sharma, Neha Kumari, M.S Ashawat, C.P.S Verma
Ruchikasharma471@gmail.com , firstname.lastname@example.org
Ruchika Sharma*, Neha Kumari, Dr. M.S Ashawat, C.P.S Verma
Sri Sai College of Pharmacy, Badhani, Pathankot.
Volume - 10,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2020
The aim of the study was to standardization and phytochemical screening analysis for Herbal Extracts: Zingiber Officinalis, Rosc., Curcuma Longa Linn., Cinnamonum Zeylanicum Nees., Piperlongum, Linn., Boerhaavia Diffussa Linn. Phytochemical analysis of extracts, preformed identification tests of extracts and it is the qualitative analysis. The study involved chromatographic fingerprinting of five drug extracts; cinnamon (Cinnamomum Zeylanicum Nees), long pepper (Piper Longum, Linn.), turmeric (Curcuma Longa Linn), punarnava (Boerhaavia Diffussa, Linn.) and ginger (Zingiber Officinalis, Rosc.) for standardization followed by preparation of tablets by direct compression methods. Thin layer chromatography (TLC) and High performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) of extracts were performed and it is the quantitative and qualitative analysis. Phytochemical screening test of all five extracts; ginger, cinnamon, curcumin, long pepper and punarnava for alkaloid, carbohydrates, glycocides, cardio glycosides, saponin glycosides, tannin and steroids test were present. Thin Layer Chromatography (TLC) was performed to all extracts: Rf value 0.272 with mobile phase toulene: ethyl acetate (93:7), Rf value 0.40 with dichloromethane: methanol (60:40), Rf value 0.466 with petroleum ether: alcohol (70:30), Rf value 0.396 with toulene: ethyl acetate (93:7) and Rf value 0.333 with benzene: acetic acid (75:25) of Zingiber Officinale, Rosc., Cinnamonum Zeylanicum, Nees., Piper Longum, Linn., Curcuma Longa, Linn. and Boerhaavia Diffussa, Linn. respectively. high Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) was used for quantitative purpose of all five extracts. The quantitative separation was confirmed on Shimadzu equipment. The extracts in flow rate of 1ml/min at the wavelength 282nm, 425nm, 221nm, 345nm and 233nm of Ginger, Turmeric, Cinnamom, Long Pepper and Punarnava respectively.
Cite this article:
Ruchika Sharma, Neha Kumari, M.S Ashawat, C.P.S Verma. Standardization and Phytochemical Screening analysis for Herbal Extracts: Zingiber officinalis, Rosc., Curcuma longa Linn., Cinnamonum zeylanicum Nees., Piper longum, Linn., Boerhaavia diffussa Linn. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2020; 10(3):127-133. doi: 10.5958/2231-5713.2020.00022.7
Ruchika Sharma, Neha Kumari, M.S Ashawat, C.P.S Verma. Standardization and Phytochemical Screening analysis for Herbal Extracts: Zingiber officinalis, Rosc., Curcuma longa Linn., Cinnamonum zeylanicum Nees., Piper longum, Linn., Boerhaavia diffussa Linn. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2020; 10(3):127-133. doi: 10.5958/2231-5713.2020.00022.7 Available on: https://ajptonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-10-3-1
1. Gul Rahman, Jan Syed Umer. Preliminary Phytochemical screening, Qquantitative Analysis of alkaloids and Antioxidant Activity of crude plant extracts from Ephdra intermedia Indigenous to Balochistan. The scientific World Journal vol. 2017; page no: 1-2.
2. Trease and Evan’s Pharmacognosy, “Introduction”. Elsevier: New York, 2009: 5-7.
3. Ara De Marderosian. The Review of Natural Products Fourth Edition; page no: 2-3.
4. Kokate C.K, Gokhale S.B, Purohit A.P.A. textbook of pharmacognosy, 39th edition; Nirali Prakasan, Pune, 2009:117-119.
5. Kawatra Pallavi and Rajagopalan Rathai. Cinnamon: Mystic powers of a minute ingredient. Pharmacognosy Research, June 2015; 7: 1-6.
6. Rao Pasupuleti Visweswara. Cinnamon: A Muultifaceted Medicinal Plant, Evidence Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine; page no:1-2.
7. Ballantyne Maghan and Orr Kelly. The pharmacognosy and therapeutic efficacy of turmeric (Curcuma longa): A Systemic Review: 2017; 1-3.
8. S. Prasad, B B Aggarwal. The turmeric, the golden spice from Traditional Medicine to Modern Medicine; page no: 1-2.
9. Chauhan Khushbu and Solanki Roshni. Phytochemical and therapeutic potential of piper longum linn: A review. International Journal of Research in Ayurveda and Pharmacy, 2(1), 2011: 157-161.
10. Kumar Suresh, Kamboj Jitpal. Overview for various Aspects of the health benefits of piper longum linn. Fruit, J Acupunct Meridian Stud 2011; 4(2) page no: 134.
11. VB Krishansagar and UA Deokate. HPTLC Method development and validation for the stimulaneous estimation of Diosgenin and lepodopa in marketed formulation; Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry; 1(1); 2008: 36-39.
12. Ismail and R. Rajavel. RP- HPLC method for the simultaneous determination of aspirin, Atorvastatin and pioglitazone in capsule dosage form. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry; 1(1); 2008: 40-42.
13. SS Chitlange and Kiran bagri. Stability indicating RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of valsaucan and amlodipine in capsule formation. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry; 1(1); 2008: 15-18.
14. Nilesh jain and Ruchi jain. RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of simvastatin and ezetimibe in bulk drug and its combine dosage form. Asian journal of research in chemistry; 1(1); 2008: 29-31.
15. P. Nagaraju and K Krishna chaithanya. Reverse phase HPLC method for determination of ethamsytale in bulk and tablet dosage form. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry; 1(2); 2008: 88-90.
16. J Baghayalakshmi and S Vijayraj. Method development and validation of erythromycin (E127) using RP-HPLC coupled with PDA detector. Asian Joural of Research in Chemistry; 1(2); 2008: 95-96.
17. RB Kakde and V H Kotak. Estimation of bisoprolol fumarate in pharmaceutical preparations by HPTLC. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry; 1(2); 2008: 70-73.
18. R Siva Kumar and P. Kumar Nallasivan. Simultaneous RP-HPLC estimation of nitazoxanide and oflaxacine in tablet dosage form. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry; 1(1); 2009: 43-45.
19. Prasanna Reddy Batty and MS Reddy. Development and validation of RP-HPLC for the rabeprazole sodium in pharmaceutical formation and human plasma. Asian Jouranal of Research in Chemistry; 2009; 2(1): 49-51.
20. V. Kiran Kumar and N Attala Raju. The estimation of irinotecan. HCl in parenterals by RP-HPLC. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry; 2008; 2(1): 54-56.