Ruchika Sharma, M. S. Ashawat, C. P. S Verma, Neha Kumari
Ruchikasharma471@gmail.com , email@example.com
Ruchika Sharma*, Dr. M. S. Ashawat, Prof. C. P. S Verma, Neha Kumari
Sri Sai College of Pharmacy, Badhani, Pathankot.
Laurete Institute of Pharmacy, kathog, Jawalmukhi.
Volume - 10,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2020
The aim of the present work is to formulate a fast release tablet containing herbal extracts (ginger, cinnamon, turmeric, long pepper and punarnava) as drug, by direct compression method. Tablets contain super-disintegrant which disintegrate and dissolve fast and give its rapid onset of action. The effect of various superdisintegrants on the disintegration was studied. Croscarmelose sodium (CCS), crospovidone (CP) and sodium starch glycolate (SSG) were selected as a superdisintegrants. The study involved chromatographic fingerprinting of five drug extracts; cinnamon (Cinnamomum Zeylanicum Nees), long pepper (Piper longum, Linn.), turmeric (curcuma longa linn), punarnava (Boerhaavia diffussa linn.) and ginger (Zingiber officinalis, Rosc.) for standardization followed by preparation of tablets by direct compression methods. Infrared (IR) spectroscopy, performed to check out compatibility of drug extracts and the excipients. Powder blend of drug and excipients was investigated for the micromeritic properties. Evaluation of FDT was carried out for appearance, hardness, thickness, and weight variation, friability, and disintegration time and dissolution studies. Dissolution studies were carried out of all the formulations (F1 – F9). All formulations are compared with the marketed formulation (MF) and it was found that prepared formulations show better results.
Cite this article:
Ruchika Sharma, M. S. Ashawat, C. P. S Verma, Neha Kumari. A Fast release tablet containing Herbal extracts (Ginger, Cinnamon, Turmeric, Long pepper and Punarnava). Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2020; 10(4):231-240. doi: 10.5958/2231-5713.2020.00039.2
Ruchika Sharma, M. S. Ashawat, C. P. S Verma, Neha Kumari. A Fast release tablet containing Herbal extracts (Ginger, Cinnamon, Turmeric, Long pepper and Punarnava). Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2020; 10(4):231-240. doi: 10.5958/2231-5713.2020.00039.2 Available on: https://ajptonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-10-4-3
1. Meulenbeld, Gerrit Jan. “Introduction”. A History of Indian Medicinal Literature. Groningen: Egbert Forsten 1999.
2. Smith, Frederick M., Wujastyk, Dagmar. “Introduction”. In Smith, Frederick M.; Wujastyk, Dagmar. Modern and Global Ayurveda: Pluralism and Paradigms. New York 2008. pp 1-28.
3. “A closer look at Ayurvedic Medicine” Focus on complementary and Alternative Medicine. Betheesda, Maryland: National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH). US National Institutees of Health (NIH). 2006: 12(4).
4. Anil Joy Pulikkottil. History of Ayurveda. Encyclopedia of Ayurvedic Medicinal Plants: A Candle for Medicinal Herb’s Identification; 2012.
5. Agence France-Presse.” Indian state steps up hunt for mythical glow-in-the dark plant”. The Guardian: 2016.
6. Sunitha HS, Parthiban S, Kumar GS, Mani TT, Recent review on the technological advancement and the use of natural superdisintegrants in the formulation of fast disintegrating tablet. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences and Biotechnology. 2014; 2(2): 31-37.
7. Ghiware Nitin B, Gattani Surendra G. Designs, development and evaluation of herbal formulationof piper nigram and N. tanthis asbortristis, Int J. Pharma Tech Res. 2010, 2(1), 171-176.
8. Upendra Kulkarni, Prasant a Borgaonkar, Basawaraj S. Patil, Prakash G. Korwar. Formulation and Development of fast disintegrating tablets containing fenugreek seed powder. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research vol. 4, issue1, 2011, 87-89.
9. Upendra Nagaich, Ashok kumar Pal, Charu Bharti, Neha Gulati. Formulation and evaluation of neutracuetical tablet using herbal drugs by direct compression method, Journal of Drug Delivry and Therapeutics 2014, 4(2) 47-51.
10. Amrita A. Kagulkar, Sachin A. Nitave; Development and Evaluation of Bauhenia veriagata Linn mixture: International Journal of Pharmatech Research 2014, 6(5). 1600-1607.
11. Samuelson G. Drugs of natural origin: A textbook of pharmacognosy, 4th edition, Stockholm, Swedish Pharmaceutical press 1999; 5-7.
12. Sobhanizadeh Ali and Yadegari Hoshang. Introduction on application of herbal medicine. The 1st Annual Iranian Agriculture Research Conference 2015; 1-11.
13. Kokate CK, Purohit AP, Gokhale SB. Pharmacognosy. 39th edition pune: Nirali Prakashan; 2007.
14. Indian Pharmacopoeia. Ghaziabad: The Indian Pharmacopoeia Commission; 2007. pp 136-188.
15. Merck research Laboratories. The merck index; 2006: pp 1428.
16. Singh Rudra Pratap and Gangadharappa H V. ginger: A potential Neutraceutical, An Updated Review. International Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemical Research 2017; 9(9); 1227-1238.
17. Margret Chandira, B. Jayakar. Formulation and evaluation of herbal tablets containing Ipomoea digitata Linn. Extract; International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Review and research 2010; 3(1): 101=110.
18. Aulton ME. Pharmaceutics the Science of Dosage Design. Churchill Livingstone. Second Edition. 2002; 134.
19. R.V. Hirave and M.S. Kodawar. Development and evaluation of herbal fast dissolving tablet of Capparis divaricata Lam; International Journal of Advance in Pharmaceutics 2017; 6: 24-30.
20. Monton C H, Saingam W O and Sakunpak A P. Formulation development and physical properties study of Thai traditional herbal tablets: original Jit-Tra-Rom reciepe. International Journal of Pharmacy Science 2014; 6: 611-614.
21. VB Krishansagar and UA Deokate. HPTLC Method development and validation for the stimulaneous estimation of Diosgenin and lepodopa in marketed formulation; Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry; 1(1); 2008: 36-39.
22. Ismail and R. Rajavel. RP- HPLC method for the simultaneous determination of aspirin, Atorvastatin and pioglitazone in capsule dosage form. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry; 1(1); 2008: 40-42.
23. SS Chitlange and Kiran Bagri. Stability indicating RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of valsaucan and amlodipine in capsule formation. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry; 1(1); 2008: 15-18.
24. Nilesh Jain and Ruchi Jain. RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of simvastatin and ezetimibe in bulk drug and its combine dosage form. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry; 1(1); 2008: 29-31.
25. P. Nagaraju and K Krishna chaithanya. Reverse phase HPLC method for determination of ethamsytale in bulk and tablet dosage form. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry; 1(2); 2008: 88-90.
26. J Baghayalakshmi and S Vijayraj. Method development and validation of erythromycin (E127) using RP-HPLC coupled with PDA detector. Asian Joural of Research in Chemistry; 1(2); 2008: 95-96.
27. RB Kakde and V H Kotak. Estimation of bisoprolol fumarate in pharmaceutical preparations by HPTLC. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry; 1(2); 2008: 70-73.
28. R Siva Kumar and P. Kumar Nallasivan. Simultaneous RP-HPLC estimation of nitazoxanide and oflaxacine in tablet dosage form. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry; 1(1); 2009: 43-45.
29. Prasanna Reddy Batty and MS Reddy. Development and validation of RP-HPLC for the rabeprazole sodium in pharmaceutical formation and human plasma. Asian Jouranal of Research in Chemistry; 2009; 2(1): 49-51.
30. V. Kiran Kumar and N Attala Raju. The estimation of irinotecan. HCl in parenterals by RP-HPLC. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry; 2008; 2(1): 54-56.
31. Mukul Ahmed and Ravi kumar. Formulation and evaluation of fast dissolving tablet of DoxazosinMesylate. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2016; 6(3): 131-146.
32. Injanamul Haque and Ravi Kumar. Formulation and evaluation of MontalukastSodium fast dissolving tablets. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2016; 6(3): 159-169.
33. Satish Shinde and Dharmendra Mundhada. Formulation and evaluation of fast dissolving tablet of drug used in treatment of motion sickness. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmacuetical Science 2015; 5(3): 181-187.
34. Rebecca and Ravi Kumar. Formulation and evaluation of mouth dissolving tablet of labetalol HCL by sublimation method. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2016; 6(2): 70-80.
35. Neha Srivastava and Seema Thakur. Fast dissolving tablet: A novel in the drug delivery system. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2016; 6(3): 148-154.
36. RautIndrayani D and Garge Manisha. Formulation and characterization of fast dissolving tablet of Perindopril. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2017; 7(1): 51-55.
37. Yogita Rayate and Shrinivas Mohite. Formulation and evaluation of fast dissolving tablet of Pioglitazone. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2019; 9(1): 23-26.
38. Ratna Shelke and Jagdish Bharad. Adsorption of Nickel (II), Copper (II) and Iron (II)of Kammoni leaf powder: A case study. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry 2011; 4(1): 100-103.
39. Ajay Kumar Meena and Ch. V. Narashimaji. Comparative Preliminary Phytochemical and HPTLC Fingerprinting profile studies of two cinnamon species commonly used in ASU formulations. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry 2018; 11(2): 344-350.
40. Sona Tyagi and Tanveer Alam. Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles using Medicinal plant Anacycluspyrethrum and its antibacterial Efficacy. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry 2018; 11(3): 515-520.