Durgesh Gautam, Preetam Palkar, Kiran Maule, Shilpa Singh, Gopika Sawant, Chinmay Kuvalekar, Tushar Rukari, Vijay A. Jagtap
Durgesh Gautam*, Preetam Palkar, Kiran Maule, Shilpa Singh, Gopika Sawant, Chinmay Kuvalekar, Tushar Rukari, Dr. Vijay A. Jagtap
Yashwantrao Bhonsale College of Pharmacy, Sawantwadi, Building No. 02, A/P Charathe - Vazarwadi, Sawantwadi, Maharashtra - 416510, India.
Volume - 10,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2020
In current scenario in oral dental care with use of herbal toothpaste containing natural ingredients are more acceptable in public belief than chemical based synthetic formulations due to their safety and efficacy in reducing dental caries, and preventing other dental issues to which this generation is prone to. In this formulation we utilizes aloe vera gel, clove oil, neem powder, pomegranate peel powder and trikatu which are not yet used by any other research work. These extracts possess many activities like anti-ulcer, anti-caries, anti- bacterial, wound healing along with which it imbibes certain special additional properties like anti-cancer and anti-fungal. Along with this herbal based formulation, a comparative study of previously marketed herbal toothpastes was done in order to get an idea of important physical parameters i.e. pH, stability, extrudability, spreadability, foamability, homogeneity to make a successful more efficacious and stable formulation. The aim of this study is to compare and evaluate the herbal toothpaste with marketed toothpaste. This study disseminate that our herbal based toothpaste formulation having natural ingredients is as good as in terms of results compare to marketed herbal formulations.
Cite this article:
Durgesh Gautam, Preetam Palkar, Kiran Maule, Shilpa Singh, Gopika Sawant, Chinmay Kuvalekar, Tushar Rukari, Vijay A. Jagtap. Preparation, Evaluation and Comparison of Herbal toothpaste with marketed Herbal toothpaste. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2020; 10(3):165-169. doi: 10.5958/2231-5713.2020.00028.8
1. Davies R, Scully C and Preston AJ. Dentifrices- an update. Medicina Oral Patologia Oral y Cirugia Bucal. 2010; 15: 976-982.
2. Ersoy M, Tanalp J, Ozel E, Cengizlier R and Soyman M. The allergy of toothpaste: a case report. Allergol Immunopathol. 2008; 36: 368-370.
3. Jardim J, Alves L, and Maltz. M. The history and global market of oral home-care products. Brazilian Oral Research. 2009; 23: 17-22.
4. Mithal BM and Saha RN. A handbook of cosmetics. Vallabh Prakashan. 2000; 1st Ed. pp. 204-212.
5. Kokate CK, Purohit AP and Gokhale SB. A Textbook of Pharmacognosy. Nirali Prakashan. 2002; 13th Ed: pp. 9.9-19.4.
6. Nema RK, Rathore KS and Dubey BK. A Textbook of Cosmetics. CBS Publisher and distributor. 2009; 1st Ed: pp.
7. Mangilal T and Ravikumar M. Preparation and Evaluation of Herbal Toothpaste and Compared with Commercial Herbal Toothpastes: An In-vitro Study. International Journal of Ayurvedic and Herbal Medicine. 2016; 6: 2266 –2251.
8. Dange VN, Magdum C.S, Mohite SK and Nitlikar M. Review on Oral Care Product: formulation of toothpaste from various and extracts of tender twigs of neem, J of Pharm Res. 2008; 1(2): 148-152.
9. Mazumdar M, Makali, Chandrika M and Patki PS. Evaluation of the Safety and Efficacy of Complete Care Herbal Toothpaste in Controlling Dental Plaque, Gingival Bleeding and Periodontal Diseases., Jounal of Homeopathic and Ayurvedic Medicine. 2013; 2(2): 100-124.
10. Mangilal T and Ravikumar M. Preparation and Evaluation of Herbal Toothpaste and Compared with Commercial Herbal Toothpastes: An In-vitro Study. International Journal of Ayurvedic and Herbal Medicine. 2016; 6: 2266 –2251.
11. Sherikar AS and Patil RA. Standardization of polyherbal formulations: containing Cassia angustifolia. International Journal of Pharmacy and Life Sciences. 2010; 1: 213-216.
12. Mithal BM and Saha RN. A Handbook of Csmetics. Vallabh prakashan, Delhi. 2016; 1st Ed. pp. 204-212.
13. Lieberman HA, Rieger MM and Banker GS. Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms: Disperse Systems. Volume 2, Informa Healthcare. 2008; 2nd Ed. pp. 423-445.
14. Mandan SS, Laddha UD and Surana SJ. Experimental Microbiology (Practical). Career publication, Nashik. 2017; 1st Ed. pp. 62-75.
15. Dr. Gaud RS, Dr. Gupta GD. Practical Microbiology. Nirali Prakashan, Pune. 2016; 10th Ed. pp.63-78.
16. Kokare C. Pharmaceutical Microbiology Experiments and Techniques. Career publication, Nashik. 2013; 4th Ed. pp. 65-83.