Athar Jamal, Ayesha Maqsood
Athar Jamal1*, Ayesha Maqsood2
1University of Management and Technology, Johar Town, Lahore, Pakistan.
2University of Management and Technology, Johar Town, Lahore, Pakistan.
Volume - 11,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2021
Silver nanoparticles having exclusive activates which find out innumerable applications like antimicrobial, anticancer and antibacterial activity. Synthesis of silver nanoparticles from herbal plants and their pharmacological activities have been reviewed in this article. Instrumental methods for evaluation and analysis were UV spectroscopy, Transmission electron microscope, Scanning electron microscope, FTIR, XRD, HPLC and EDAX. This review is providing an insight of the Phytomediated synthesis of silver nanoparticles and its applications. The nanoparticles are used in pharmaceutical and homeopathic industries for the development of antibacterial medications. Nanoparticles are used for direct delivery of medicine to target.
1. Tripathi D. Rai KK. Rai SK. and Rai SP. An improved thin cell layer culture system for efficient clonal propagation and in vitro withanolide production in a medicinal plant Withania coagulans Dunal. Industrial Crops and Products. 2018;119: 172-182
Cite this article:
Athar Jamal, Ayesha Maqsood. Review of Synthesis of Silver Nanoparticles from different Medicinal Plants and their Pharmacological Activities. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2021; 11(1):88-93. doi: 10.5958/2231-5713.2021.00015.5
Athar Jamal, Ayesha Maqsood. Review of Synthesis of Silver Nanoparticles from different Medicinal Plants and their Pharmacological Activities. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2021; 11(1):88-93. doi: 10.5958/2231-5713.2021.00015.5 Available on: https://ajptonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-11-1-15
2. Tripathi D. Modi A. Narayan G. and Rai SP. Green and cost-effective synthesis of silver nanoparticles from endangered medicinal plant Withania coagulans and their potential biomedical properties. Materials Science and Engineering. 2019; 100:152-164
3. Ahmad N. Sharma S. Singh VN. Shamsi SF. Fatma A. and Mehta BR. Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles from Desmodium triflorum: a novel approach towards weed utilization. Biotechnology Research International. 2011.
4. Nayagam V. Gabriel M. and Palanisamy K. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles mediated by Coccinia grandis and Phyllanthus emblica: a comparative comprehension. Applied Nanoscience. 2018; 8(3): 205-219.
5. Muchanyereyi NM. Muchenje T. Nyoni S. Shumba M. and Mupa M. Journal of Nanomaterials and Molecular Nanotechnology. 2017; 6:3: 1-6.
6. Mohanta YK. Panda SK. Jayabalan R. Sharma N. Bastia AK. and Mohanta TK. Antimicrobial, antioxidant and cytotoxic activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized by leaf extract of Erythrina suberosa (Roxb.). Frontiers in molecular biosciences. 2017;4: 14.
7. Shah M. Anwar N. Saleem S. Munir I. Shah NA. Fida B. and Amin FU. Synthesis of silver nanoparticles from Anagalis arvensis and Their biomedical Applications.2018.
8. Saravanakumar A. Peng MM. Ganesh M. Jayaprakash J. Mohankumar M. and Jang HT. Low-cost and eco-friendly green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Prunus japonica (Rosaceae) leaf extract and their antibacterial, antioxidant properties. Artificial cells, Nanomedicines and Biotechnology. 2017;45(6): 1165-1171.
9. Thirunavoukkarasu M. Balaji U. Behera S. Panda PK. and Mishra BK. Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticle from leaf extract of Desmodiumgangeticum (L.) DC. and its biomedical potential. Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy. 2013; 116: 424-427.
10. Sadeghi B. and Gholamhoseinpoor F. A study on the stability and green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Ziziphoratenuior (Zt) extract at room temperature. Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolcular Spectroscopy. 2015; 134: 310-315.
11. Muthukrishnan S. Bhakya S. Kumar TS. and Rao MV. Biosynthesis, characterization and antibacterial effect of plant-mediated silver nanoparticles using Ceropegia thwaitesii–An endemic species. Industrial crops and products. 2015; 63: 119-124.
12. Maharani V. Sundaramanickam A. and Balasubramanian T. In vitro anticancer activity of silver nanoparticle synthesized by Escherichia coli VM1 isolated from marine sediments of Ennore southeast coast of India. Enzyme and Microbial Technology. 2016;95: 146-154.
13. Krishnaraj C. Jagan EG. Rajasekar S. Selvakumar P. Kalaichelvan PT. and Mohan N. J. C. S. B. B. Synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Acalyphaindica leaf extracts and its antibacterial activity against water borne pathogens. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces. 2010;76(1): 50-56.
14. Balavijayalakshmi J. and Ramalakshmi V. Carica papaya peel mediated synthesis of silver nanoparticles and its antibacterial activity against human pathogens. Journal of Applied Research and Technology. 2017;15(5): 413-422.
15. Dhand V. Soumya L. Bharadwaj S. Chakra S. Bhatt D. and Sreedhar B. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Coffea arabica seed extract and its antibacterial activity. Materials Science and Engineering: C. 2016; 58, 36-43.
16. Ali S. Perveen S. Ali M. Jiao T. Sharma AS. Hassan H. and Chen Q. Bioinspired morphology-controlled silver nanoparticles for antimicrobial application. Materials Science and Engineering: C. 2020;108: 110421.
17. Jyoti K. Baunthiyal M. and Singh A. Characterization of silver nanoparticles synthesized using Urticadioica Linn. Leaves and their synergistic effects with antibiotics. Journal of Radiation Research and Applied Science. 2016;9(3): 217-227.
18. Vigneshwaran N. Ashtaputre NM. Varadarajan PV. Nachane RP. Paralikar KM. and Balasubramanya RH. Biological synthesis of silver nanoparticles using the fungus Aspergillus flavus. Material letters. 2007; 61(6): 1413-1418.
19. Abdelghany TM. Al-Rajhi AM. Al Abboud MA. Alawlaqi MM. Magdah AG. Helmy E A. and Mabrouk AS. Recent advances in green synthesis of silver nanoparticles and their applications: About future directions. A review. BioNanoScience. 2018; 8(1):5-16
20. Abalkhil TA. Alharbi SA. Salmen SH. and Wainwright M. Bactericidal activity of biosynthesized silver nanoparticles against human pathogenic bacteria. Biotechnology and Biotechnological Equipment. 2017;31(2): 411-417
21. Prabhu S. and Poulose EK. Silver nanoparticles: mechanism of antimicrobial action, synthesis, medical applications, and toxicity effects. International Nano Letters. 2012;2(1): 32
22. Bhakya S. Muthukrishnan S. Sukumaran M. and Muthukumar M. Biogenic synthesis of silver nanoparticles and their antioxidant and antibacterial activity. Applied Nanoscience. 2016;6(5): 755-766
23. Jang SJ. Yang IJ. Tettey CO. Kim KM. and Shin HM. In-vitro anticancer activity of green synthesized silver nanoparticles on MCF-7 human breast cancer cells. Materials Science and Engineering: C. 2016;68: 430-435.
24. Morones JR. Elechiguerra JL. Camacho A. Holt K. Kouri JB. Ramírez JT. and Yacaman, MJ. The bactericidal effect of silver nanoparticles. Nanotechnology. 2005;16(10): 346.
25. Barabadi H. Vahidi H. Kamali KD. Rashedi M. and SaravananM. Antineoplastic biogenic silver nanomaterials to combat cervical cancer: a novel approach in cancer therapeutics. Journal of Cluster Science.2019; 1-14.
26. Bonifacio BV. da Silva PB.dos Santos Ramos MA. Negri KMS. Bauab TM. and ChorilliM.Nanotechnology-based drug delivery systems and herbal medicines: a review. International Journal of Nanomedicines. 2014; 9-15.
27. Hao E. and Schatz GC. Electromagnetic fields around silver nanoparticles and dimers. Journal of Chemical Physics. 2004;120(1): 357-366.
28. Lok CN. Ho CM. Chen R. He Q. Y. Yu WY. Sun H. and Che CM. Silver nanoparticles: partial oxidation and antibacterial activities. Journal of Biological Inorganic Chemistry. 2007;12(4): 527-534.
29. Marslin G. Siram K. Maqbool Q. Selvakesavan RK. Kruszka D. Kachlicki P. and Franklin G. Secondary metabolites in the green synthesis of metallic nanoparticles. Mat. 2018; 11(6): 940.
30. Rai M. Yadav A, and Gade A. Silver nanoparticles as a new generation of antimicrobials. Biotechnology Advances. 2009; 27(1): 76-83.