Herbal immunomodulators are the substances that can stimulate or suppresses the components of immune system in human. A number of vast research on this area supports thatmany of the chemicals in the form of flavonoids, alkaloids, terpenoids, polysaccharides, lactones, and glycoside products are responsible to cause alterations in the immunomodulatory properties. Plants rich in flavonoids, vitamin C, or the carotenoids can enhance immune function. This can promote the activity of lymphocytes, increase phagocytosis, and induce interferon production. The modulation of immune system by various medicinal plant products has become a subject for scientific research currently worldwide.
Cite this article:
Subhashis Debnath, Runa Chakravorty, Donita Devi. A Review on Role of Medicinal plants in Immune system. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2020; 10(4):273-277. doi: 10.5958/2231-5713.2020.00045.8
1. Ramalingum N, Mahomoodally MF. The therapeutic potential of medicinal foods. Adv Pharmacol Sci.2014; 35: 42-64.
2. Dias DA, Urban S, Roessner U. A historical overview of natural products in drug discovery. Metabolites. 2012;2(2): 303-36.
3. R. Malathi, A. Cholarajan, K. Karpagam, K.R. Jaya, P. Muthukumaran. Antimicrobial Studies on Selected Medicinal Plants (Coleus amboinicus, Phyla nodiflora and Vitex negundo). Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 1(2): April-June 2011; Page 53-55.
4. Abhijit Ray. Scope of Aloe vera as Medicinal Plant and Skin Care. Res. J. Topical and Cosmetic Sci. 3(1): Jan. –June 2012 page 1-3.
5. Wadood A, Ghufran M, Jamal SB, Naeem M, Khan A, Ghaffar R, et al. Phytochemicalanalysis of medicinal plants occurring in local area of Mardan. Biochem Anal Biochem. 2013;2(4): 1-4.
6. Ketan B. Patil, Narendra B. Patil, Aashutosh A. Patil. Medicinal Plants for cure Common Diseases in Shirpur (Maharashtra, India). Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2019; 9(4): 273-275.
7. Mogensen TH. Pathogen recognition and inflammatory signaling in innate immune defenses. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2009;22(2): 240-73.
8. Ashwini S. Jadhav, Omkar A. Patil, Sampada V. Kadam, Dr. Mangesh A. Bhutkar. Review on Aloe Vera is used in Medicinal Plant. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2020; 10(1): 26-30.
9. Wilson DR, Warise L. Cytokines and their role in depression. Perspect Psychiatr Care. 2008; 44 (4): 285-9.
10. Ch. Madhu, J. Swapna, K. Neelima, Monic V. Shah. A Comparative Evaluation of the Antioxidant Activity of Some Medicinal Plants Popularly Used in India. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2(3): July-Sept. 2012; Page 98-100.
11. Mansur RB, Zugman A, Asevedo EM, da Cunha GR, Bressan RA, Brietzke E. Cytokines in schizophrenia: Possible role of anti-inflammatory medications in clinical and preclinical stages. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2012;66(4): 247-60.
12. Fredrickson BL. The role of positive emotions in positive psychology. The broaden-and-build theory of positive emotions. Am Psychol. 2001;56(3): 218-26.
13. Ahmed S, Rai KR. Interferon in the treatment of hairy-cell leukemia. Best Pract Res Clin Haematol. 2003;16(1): 69-81.
14. Arun Duraisamy, Nithya Narayanaswamy, K.P. Balakrishnan. Antioxidant and Anti-Tyrosinase Activity of Some Medicinal Plants. Research J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 2011; 3(2): 86-90.
15. Singh UP, Prithiviraj B, Sarma BK, Singh M, Ray AB. Role of garlic (Allium sativum L.) in human and plant diseases. Indian J Exp Biol. 2001;39(4): 310-22.
16. Goli. Venkateshwarlu, Ragya Eslavath, A. Santhosh, Gutha Suma, E. Rajeshwari, CH. Ramesh. Rephanus sativa- An Important Medicinal Plant: A Review of Its Folklore Medicine and Traditional Uses. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 4(3): July-Sept. 2014; Page 160-161.
17. Spelman K, Burns J, Nichols D, Winters N, Ottersberg S, Tenborg M. Modulation of cytokine expression by traditional medicines: A review of herbal immunomodulators. Altern Med Rev. 2006; 11(2): 128-50.
18. Kulkarni Anup, Kale Mohan, Sarode Suraj, Firke Sandip, Firke Bhushan, Warke Prashant. Antimicrobial Activity of Some Important Medicinal Plants of India against Some Plant and Human Pathogens. Research J. Pharm. and Tech.3 (3): July-Sept. 2010; Page 924-926.
19. Yogesh Shivhare, Prashant Soni, Smita Shukla, JR Patel. Potentials of Medicinal Plants as Wound Healers: A Review. Research Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2014; 6(1): 41-43.
20. Liu P, Chen D, Shi J. Chemical constituents, biological activity and agricultural cultivation of Aloe vera- A review. Asian J Chem. 2013; 25(12): 6477.
21. Kolhe Rohini C., Chaudhari Rajesh Y. A Review on Phytopharmacological Profile of Traditionally used medicinal plant Parkia biglandulosa (Mimosaceae). Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2020; 10(1): 34-38.
22. Rakesh K. Joshi, Bipin C. Joshi, Mukul K. Sati. Chemical and Chemotaxonomic Aspects of Some Aromatic and Medicinal Plants Species from Utrrakhand: A Review. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2014; Vol. 4: Issue 3, Pg 157-162.
23. Chikoti Sneha Priya, M. Venkataswamy, Gandla Harshini, Pindrathi Pravalika, Sandhya Mandadi, Jahnavi Bandla. Medicinal Plants used for the Treatment of Bacterial Meningitis. Res. J. Pharma. Dosage Forms and Tech.2019; 11(3):239-244.
24. M.A. Chaudhari, S.M. Sarode, Y.A. Chaudhari, G. Vidyasagar, M.K. Kale. Antimicrobial Studies on Selected Medicinal Plants in Khandesh Region, Maharashtra, India. Research J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 2010; 2(5): 386-390.
25. Arun Duraisamy, Nithya Narayanaswamy, K.P. Balakrishnan. Antioxidant and Anti-Tyrosinase Activity of Some Medicinal Plants. Research J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 2011; 3(2): 86-90.