I. Madhumathi, B. Hemalatha, K. Padmalatha
I. Madhumathi, B. Hemalatha*, K. Padmalatha
Department of Pharmaceutics, Vijaya Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences for Women, Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh, India.
Volume - 12,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2022
In the pharmaceutical Industry oral route is considered as the safest and convenient route. Fast dissolving tablets (FDTs) are solid dosage forms containing drugs that disintegrate in the oral cavity within less than 1 minute leaving an easy to swallow residue. These dosage forms include superdisintegrants which impart quick disintegration with existence of saliva and can be swallowed without difficulty. Fast dissolving tablets are the very good preference for the paediatric as well as geriatric patients. To improve the bioavailability of many drugs, fast dissolving drug delivery systems are used widely. Sophisticated technologies used for manufacturing fast dissolving tablets are by direct compression method, freeze drying method, sublimation method, mass extrusion and cotton candy process. Taste is the vital factor since these tablets disintegrate directly in the mouth. FDTs are evaluated by various parameters such as hardness test, friability test, water absorption ratio, wetting time, disintegration test and dissolution test. These tablets are also well-known as mouth dissolving tablets and orodispersible tablets. This review article will emphasize on ideal properties, challenges, advantages, disadvantages, conventional techniques, patented technologies and evaluation of orodispersible tablets.
Cite this article:
I. Madhumathi, B. Hemalatha, K. Padmalatha. Fast Dissolving Tablets: A Review. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 12(2):183-9. doi: 10.52711/2231-5713.2022.00031
I. Madhumathi, B. Hemalatha, K. Padmalatha. Fast Dissolving Tablets: A Review. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 12(2):183-9. doi: 10.52711/2231-5713.2022.00031 Available on: https://ajptonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-12-2-17
1. Dharashive V.M, Kapse V.N. Yelam. Orodispersible Tablet. International Journal of Current Research, 2017; 9(11): 61478 – 61482.
2. Ramakant Joshi, Navneet Garud and Wasim Akram. Fast Dissolving Tablets: A Review. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research, 2020; 11(4): 1562 - 1570.
3. Dilip Kumar Gupta, Arpana Maurya and Dr. Munendra Mohan Varshney. Orodispersible tablets: An overview of formulation and technology. World journal of pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences, 2020; 9(10): 1406 - 1418.
4. Vishali T, Damodharan N. Orodispersible Tablets: A Review. Research J. Pharm. and Tech., 2020; 13(5): 2522 - 2529.
5. Comoglu T, Dilek Ozyilmaz E. Orally disintegrating tablets and orally disintegrating mini tablets-novel dosage forms for pediatric use. Pharm Dev Technol., 2019; 24(7): 902 - 14.
6. Sastry SV, Nyshadham JR, Fix JA. Recent technological advances in oral drug delivery - A review. Pharm Sci Technol Today, 2000; 3(4): 138 - 45.
7. Kumar VD, Sharma I and Sharma V. A comprehensive review on fast dissolving tablet technology. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science, 2011; 1: 50 - 58.
8. Khanna K, Xavier G, Joshi SK, Patel A, Khanna S and Goel B. Fast dissolving tablets-A novel approach. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Research and Allied Sciences, 2016; 5: 311 - 22.
9. Kaur V and Mehara N: A Review on: Importance of Superdisintegrants on Immediate Release Tablets. International Journal of Research and Scientific Innovation, 2016; 3: 39 - 43.
10. Kenneth Roshan, H.S Keerthy. Orodispersible Tablets: A Compendious Review. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research and Development, 2021; 9(3): 66 - 75.
11. Hadyah Faleh Alotaibi, Samar Elsamagily, Gamal M. Mahrous, Mohsen A. Bayomi, Hanna Abdelmonem Mahmoud. Design of taste masked enteric orodispersible tablets of diclofenac sodium by applying fluid bed coating technology. Saudi Pharmaceutical Journal, 2019; 27: 354 – 362.
12. Amol V. Patil, Dhanesh H. Sali, Satish S. Reddi, Nikhil S. Wargade, Santosh K. Mohapatra, Bharat V. Paygude. Recent trends and formulation technology of orodispersible tablets. Journal of Pharmacy Research, 2011; 4(3): 924 - 928.
13. Rewar S, Singh C J, Bansal B K, Pareek R, Sharma A K. Oral dispersible tablets: An overview; Development, Technologies and Evaluation. International Journal of Research and Development, 2014; 3(6): 1223 – 1235.
14. Ravi, Geeta Rajput, Amit Kumar. A review article on orodispersible tablet formulation. The Pharma Innovation, 2013; 2(2): 144 – 152.
15. Suresh Bandari, Rajendra Kumar Mittapalli, Ramesh Gannu, Yamsani Madhusudan Rao. Orodispersible tablets: An overview. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutics, 2008; 2 – 11.
16. Nikita K. Patel, Sahilhusen I. Jethara, Mukesh. S. Patel. A review on orodispersible tablets – As a Novel Formulation for Oral drug delivery systems. Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Bioscientific Research, 2015; 5(3): 286 – 294.
17. K. B. Deshpande, N. S. Ganesh. Orodispersible Tablets: An overview of formulation and technology. International Journal of Pharma and Bio Sciences, 2011; 2 (1): 726 – 734.
18. K. P. R Chowdary, K. Ravi Shankar and B. Suchitra. Recent Research on orodispersible tablets – A Review. International Research Journal of Pharmaceutical and Applied Sciences, 2014; 4(1): 64 – 73.
19. Deepika Jain, Mishra Amul. A review – Formulation and Development of Orodispersible Tablet. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Erudition, 2014; 4(1): 21 – 38.
20. Parijat Pandey, Mandeep Dahiya. Oral disintegrating tablets: A review. International Journal of Pharma Research and Review 2016; 5(1): 50 – 62.
21. P. A. Hannan, J.A. Khan, A. Khan and S. Safiullah. Oral dispersible system: A new approach in drug delivery system. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2016; 78 (1): 2 – 7.
22. Ashwin Shinde, Vishal Yadav, Vinay Gaikwad and Shree Dange. Fast disintegration drug delivery system: A review. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research, 2013; 4(7): 2548 – 2561.
23. Mayuri R Patil, Nayan A Gujarathi, Bhushan R Rane. Formulation and Evaluation of mouth dissolving tablet: Review article. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2014; 5(2): 7 – 20.
24. Abhay Asthana, Swati Aggarwal, Gayti Asthana. Oral dispersible tablets: Novel technology and development. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Review and Research, 2013; 20(1): 193 – 199.
25. Panchal Dhavalkumar M, Tiwari Ajaykumar, Srivastava Priyam. A review on orodispersible tablets – A novel formulation for oral drug delivery system and its future prospective. Indo American Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 2013; 3(5): 4149 – 4168.
26. G. S. Bangale, G. J. Yadav, G. V. Shinde, B. Stephen Rathinaraj. New Generation of Orodispersible tablets: Recent advances and future prospects. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Science Research, 2011; 1(2): 52 – 62.
27. Ajit Kumar Yadav, Anamika Sharma, Shivangi Saxena and Arti Kesarwani. Mouth dissolving tablets: General overview and formulation aspects. Bulletin of Pharmaceutical Research, 2014; 4(1): 43 – 57.
28. Rameesa C. K., Drisya M. K. Orodispersible tablet: A patient friendly dosage form. Bali Medical Journal, 2015; 4(1): 17 – 20.
29. Satvinder Singh, Ujjwal Nautiyal, Ramandeep Singh, Sarabjot Kaur. Fast dissolving tablets – Future Aspects. International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Medical Research, 2015; 3(2): 216 – 231.
30. Priyanka Nagar, Kusum Singh, Iti Chauhan, Madhu Verma, Mohd Yasir, Azad Khan, Rajat Sharma and Nandini Gupta. Orally disintegrating tablets: formulation, preparation techniques and evaluation. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science, 2011; 1(4): 35 – 45.