Basically Emulsions are liquid–liquid dispersions along with one liquid phase which is dispersed in the other liquid phase as small sized droplets. These days, there is an increasing interest in the utilization of nano emulsions in pharmaceuticals as well as cosmetics industry because of it’ snumerous of potential advantages over conventional and microemulsions. Nanoemulsions are nano-sized emulsions which have sizes range from tens to hundreds of nano meters. Nano emulsion sex hibit useful characteristics due to its small droplet size which leads to high surface area per unit volume, higher stability, optically transparent appearance, flexible fluidity as well as increased bioavailability of lipophilic components. The current review provides a comprehensive overview, starting with an introduction of nano emulsion types, preparation methods, stability study, characterisation, and applications of nano emulsion.
Cite this article:
Ravindra Gaikwad, Anilkumar Shinde. Overview of Nanoemulsion Preparation Methods, Characterization Techniques and Applications. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology; 12(4):329-6. doi: 10.52711/2231-5713.2022.00053
Ravindra Gaikwad, Anilkumar Shinde. Overview of Nanoemulsion Preparation Methods, Characterization Techniques and Applications. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology; 12(4):329-6. doi: 10.52711/2231-5713.2022.00053 Available on: https://ajptonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-12-4-8
1. Shah P, Bhalodia D, Shelat P. Nanoemulsion: A pharmaceutical review. Systematic reviews in pharmacy. 2010 Jan 1;1(1).
2. Chircov C, Grumezescu AM. Nanoemulsion preparation, characterization, and application in the field of biomedicine. InNanoarchitectonics in biomedicine 2019 Jan 1 (pp. 169-188). William Andrew Publishing.
3. Thakur N, Garg G, Sharma PK, Kumar N. Nanoemulsions: a review on various pharmaceutical application. Global Journal of Pharmacology. 2012;6(3):222-5.
4. Wilson RJ, Li Y, Yang G, Zhao CX. Nanoemulsions for drug delivery. Particuology. 2021 Jun 8.
5. Naseema A, Kovooru L, Behera AK, Kumar KP, Srivastava P. A critical review of synthesis procedures, applications and future potential of nanoemulsions. Advances in Colloid and Interface Science. 2021 Jan 1;287: 102318.
6. Jaiswal M, Dudhe R, Sharma PK. Nanoemulsion: an advanced mode of drug delivery system. 3 Biotech. 2015 Apr;5(2): 123-7.
7. Azmi NA, Elgharbawy AA, Motlagh SR, Samsudin N, Salleh HM. Nanoemulsions: factory for food, pharmaceutical and cosmetics. Processes. 2019 Sep; 7(9):617.
8. Chavda VP. Nanobased nano drug delivery: a comprehensive Review. Applications of Targeted Nano Drugs and Delivery Systems. 2019 Jan 1:69-92.
9. Kumar M, Bishnoi RS, Shukla AK, Jain CP. Techniques for formulation of nanoemulsion drug delivery system: a review. Preventive nutrition and food science. 2019 Sep; 24(3):225.
10. Singh Y, Meher JG, Raval K, Khan FA, Chaurasia M, Jain NK, Chourasia MK. Nanoemulsion: Concepts, development and applications in drug delivery. Journal of controlled release. 2017 Apr 28; 252:28-49.
11. Safaya M, Rotliwala YC. Nanoemulsions: A review on low energy formulation methods, characterization, applications and optimization technique. Materials Today: Proceedings. 2020 Jan 1;27: 454-9.
12. Jasmina H, Džana O, Alisa E, Edina V, Ognjenka R. Preparation of nanoemulsions by high-energy and lowenergy emulsification methods. InCMBEBIH 2017 2017 (pp. 317-322). Springer, Singapore.
13. Patel RP, Joshi JR. An overview on nanoemulsion: a novel approach. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2012 Dec 1; 3(12):4640.
14. Jintapattanakit A. Preparation of nanoemulsions by phase inversion temperature (PIT) method. Pharmaceutical Sciences Asia. 2018; 45(1):1-2.
15. Feng J, Rodríguez‐Abreu C, Esquena J, Solans C. A Concise Review on Nano‐emulsion Formation by the Phase Inversion Composition (PIC) Method. Journal of Surfactants and Detergents. 2020 Jul;23(4): 677-85.
16. Saberi AH, Fang Y, McClements DJ. Fabrication of vitamin E-enriched nanoemulsions: factors affecting particle size using spontaneous emulsification. Journal of colloid and interface science. 2013 Feb 1;391: 95-102.
17. Solans C, Morales D, Homs M. Spontaneous emulsification. Current Opinion in Colloid & Interface Science. 2016 Apr 1;22:88-93.
18. Kotta S, Khan AW, Ansari SH, Sharma RK, Ali J. Formulation of nanoemulsion: a comparison between phase inversion composition method and high-pressure homogenization method. Drug delivery. 2015 May 19;22(4):455-66.
19. Fernandez P, André V, Rieger J, Kühnle A. Nano-emulsion formation by emulsion phase inversion. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects. 2004 Dec 20;251(1-3):53-8.
20. Tong K, Zhao C, Sun D. Formation of nanoemulsion with long chain oil by W/O microemulsion dilution method. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects. 2016 May 20;497:101-8.
21. Kale SN, Deore SL. Emulsion micro emulsion and nano emulsion: a review. Systematic Reviews in Pharmacy. 2017;8(1):39.
22. Azmi NA, Elgharbawy AA, Motlagh SR, Samsudin N, Salleh HM. Nanoemulsions: factory for food, pharmaceutical and cosmetics. Processes. 2019 Sep;7(9):617.
23. Gurpreet K, Singh SK. Review of nanoemulsion formulation and characterization techniques. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2018 Aug 31;80(5):781-9.
24. Bhatt P, Madhav S. A detailed review on nanoemulsion drug delivery system. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2011 Oct 1;2(10):2482.
25. Akhtar J, Siddiqui HH, Fareed S, Badruddeen, Khalid M, Aqil M. Nanoemulsion: for improved oral delivery of repaglinide. Drug delivery. 2016 Jul 23;23(6):2026-34.
26. Bajaj S, Singla D, Sakhuja N. Stability testing of pharmaceutical products. Journal of applied pharmaceutical science. 2012 Mar 24;2(3):129-38.
27. Halnor VV, Pande VV, Borawake DD, Nagare HS. Nanoemulsion: A novel platform for drug delivery system. J Mat Sci Nanotechol. 2018;6(1):104.
28. Kumar L, Verma R. Chemical stability studies of bioadhesive topical gel. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci. 2011 Feb 1;3(1):101-4.
29. McClements DJ. Nanoemulsions versus microemulsions: terminology, differences, and similarities. Soft matter. 2012;8(6):1719-29.
30. Sheth T, Seshadri S, Prileszky T, Helgeson ME. Multiple nanoemulsions. Nature Reviews Materials. 2020 Mar;5(3):214-28.
31. Mason TG, Wilking JN, Meleson K, Chang CB, Graves SM. Nanoemulsions: formation, structure, and physical properties. Journal of Physics: condensed matter. 2006 Sep 29;18(41):R635.
32. Delmas T, Piraux H, Couffin AC, Texier I, Vinet F, Poulin P, Cates ME, Bibette J. How to prepare and stabilize very small nanoemulsions. Langmuir. 2011 Mar 1;27(5):1683-92.
33. Liu Q, Huang H, Chen H, Lin J, Wang Q. Food-grade nanoemulsions: Preparation, stability and application in encapsulation of bioactive compounds. Molecules. 2019 Jan;24(23):4242.
34. Borthakur P, Boruah PK, Sharma B, Das MR. Nanoemulsion: Preparation and its application in food industry. InEmulsions 2016 Jan 1 (pp. 153-191). Academic Press.
35. Bowen P. Particle size distribution measurement from millimeters to nanometers and from rods to platelets. Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology. 2002 Jan 11;23(5):631-62.
36. Devadasu VR, Bhardwaj V, Kumar MR. Can controversial nanotechnology promise drug delivery?. Chemical reviews. 2013 Mar 13;113(3):1686-735.
37. Sari TP, Mann B, Kumar R, Singh RR, Sharma R, Bhardwaj M, Athira S. Preparation and characterization of nanoemulsion encapsulating curcumin. Food Hydrocolloids. 2015 Jan 1;43:540-6.
38. Kumar M, Pathak K, Misra A. Formulation and characterization of nanoemulsion-based drug delivery system of risperidone. Drug development and industrial pharmacy. 2009 Apr 1;35(4):387-95.
39. Majeed A, Bashir R, Farooq S, Maqbool M. Preparation, characterization and applications of nanoemulsions: An insight. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics. 2019 Mar 15;9(2):520-7.
40. Klang V, Valenta C, Matsko NB. Electron microscopy of pharmaceutical systems. Micron. 2013 Jan 1;44:45-74.
41. Jain AK, Thareja S. In vitro and in vivo characterization of pharmaceutical nanocarriers used for drug delivery. Artificial cells, nanomedicine, and biotechnology. 2019 Dec 4;47(1):524-39.
42. Deore SK, Surawase RK, Maru A. Formulation and evaluation of o/w nanoemulsion of ketoconazole. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2019;11(4):269-4.
43. Lovelyn C, Attama AA. Current state of nanoemulsions in drug delivery. Journal of Biomaterials and Nanobiotechnology. 2011 Dec 9;2(05):626.
44. Pandey P, Gulati N, Makhija M, Purohit D, Dureja H. Nanoemulsion: a novel drug delivery approach for enhancement of bioavailability. Recent Patents on Nanotechnology. 2020 Dec 1;14(4):276-93.
45. Nikam TH, Patil MP, Patil SS, Vadnere GP, Lodhi S. Nanoemulsion: A brief review on development and application in Parenteral Drug Delivery. Adv. Pharm. J. 2018 May;3(2):43-54.
46. Rai VK, Mishra N, Yadav KS, Yadav NP. Nanoemulsion as pharmaceutical carrier for dermal and transdermal drug delivery: formulation development, stability issues, basic considerations and applications. Journal of controlled release. 2018 Jan 28;270:203-25.
47. Rapalli VK, Waghule T, Gorantla S, Dubey SK, Saha RN, Singhvi G. Psoriasis: pathological mechanisms, current pharmacological therapies, and emerging drug delivery systems. Drug Discovery Today. 2020 Dec 1;25(12):2212-26.
48. Nimase SA, Patil PB, Saudagar RB. A recent review on Nanoemulsion as a topical delivery system of antipsoriatic drugs. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics. 2019 Apr 15;9(2-s):659-64.
49. Pawar KR, Babu RJ. Lipid materials for topical and transdermal delivery of nanoemulsions. Critical Reviews™ in Therapeutic Drug Carrier Systems. 2014;31(5).
50. Ravindra G. Gaikwad, Anilkumar J. Shinde, Ashok A. Hajare. Herbal Treatment for Management of Psoriasis: An Overview. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(3):1385-2.
51. Anita C, Munira M, Mural Q, Shaily L. Topical nanocarriers for management of rheumatoid arthritis: A review. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy. 2021 Sep 1;141:111880.
52. Alhamdany AT, Saeed AM, Alaayedi M. Nanoemulsion and Solid Nanoemulsion for Improving Oral Delivery of a Breast Cancer Drug: Formulation, Evaluation, and a Comparison Study. Saudi Pharmaceutical Journal. 2021 Nov 1;29(11):1278-88.
53. Kaur A, Katiyar SS, Kushwah V, Jain S. Nanoemulsion loaded gel for topical co-delivery of clobitasol propionate and calcipotriol in psoriasis. Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology and Medicine. 2017 May 1;13(4):1473-82.
54. Alam MS, Ali MS, Alam N, Alam MI, Anwer T, Imam F, Ali MD, Siddiqui MR, Shamim M. Design and characterization of nanostructure topical gel of betamethasone dipropionate for psoriasis. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science. 2012 Oct 1;2(10):148.
55. Araújo FA, Kelmann RG, Araújo BV, Finatto RB, Teixeira HF, Koester LS. Development and characterization of parenteral nanoemulsions containing thalidomide. European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2011 Feb 14;42(3):238-45.
56. Kelmann RG, Kuminek G, Teixeira HF, Koester LS. Carbamazepine parenteral nanoemulsions prepared by spontaneous emulsification process. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2007 Sep 5;342(1-2):231-9.
57. Mahajan HS, Mahajan MS, Nerkar PP, Agrawal A. Nanoemulsion-based intranasal drug delivery system of saquinavir mesylate for brain targeting. Drug delivery. 2014 Mar 1;21(2):148-54.
58. Gaba B, Khan T, Haider MF, Alam T, Baboota S, Parvez S, Ali J. Vitamin E loaded naringenin nanoemulsion via intranasal delivery for the management of oxidative stress in a 6-OHDA Parkinson’s disease model. BioMed research international. 2019 Apr 14;2019.
59. Azmi NA, Elgharbawy AA, Motlagh SR, Samsudin N, Salleh HM. Nanoemulsions: factory for food, pharmaceutical and cosmetics. Processes. 2019 Sep;7(9):617.
60. Yukuyama MN, Ghisleni DD, Pinto TD, Bou‐Chacra NA. Nanoemulsion: process selection and application in cosmetics–a review. International journal of cosmetic science. 2016 Feb;38(1):13-24.
61. Che Marzuki NH, Wahab RA, Abdul Hamid M. An overview of nanoemulsion: concepts of development and cosmeceutical applications. Biotechnology & biotechnological equipment. 2019 Jan 1;33(1):779-97.
62. Rathod S, Shinde K, Shinde N, Aloorkar N. Cosmeceuticals and Nanotechnology in Beauty Care Products. Research Journal of Topical and Cosmetic Sciences. 2021 Dec 22;12(2):93-101.
63. Rathod S, Mali S, Shinde N, Aloorkar N. Cosmeceuticals and Beauty Care Products: Current trends with future prospects. Research Journal of Topical and Cosmetic Sciences. 2020;11(1):45-51.
64. Makidon PE, Nigavekar SS, Bielinska AU, Mank N, Shetty AM, Suman J, Knowlton J, Myc A, Rook T, Baker Jr JR. Characterization of stability and nasal delivery systems for immunization with nanoemulsion-based vaccines. Journal of aerosol medicine and pulmonary drug delivery. 2010 Apr 1;23(2):77-89.
65. Brito LA, Chan M, Shaw CA, Hekele A, Carsillo T, Schaefer M, Archer J, Seubert A, Otten GR, Beard CW, Dey AK. A cationic nanoemulsion for the delivery of next-generation RNA vaccines. Molecular Therapy. 2014 Dec 1;22(12):2118-29.
66. Chan JD, von Scheidt B, Zeng B, Oliver AJ, Davey AS, Ali AI, Thomas R, Trapani JA, Darcy PK, Kershaw MH, Dolcetti R. Enhancing chimeric antigen receptor T‐cell immunotherapy against cancer using a nanoemulsion‐based vaccine targeting cross‐presenting dendritic cells. Clinical & translational immunology. 2020;9(7):e1157.
67. Hazarika H, Krishnatreyya H, Chattopadhyay P, Saha A, Pathak YV, Zaman MK. Nanoemulsion Delivery of Herbal Products: Prospects and Challenges. Nano Medicine and Nano Safety. 2020:267-88.
68. Harwansh RK, Deshmukh R, Rahman MA. Nanoemulsion: Promising nanocarrier system for delivery of herbal bioactives. Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology. 2019 Jun 1;51:224-33.
69. Harwansh RK, Mukherjee PK, Biswas S. Nanoemulsion as a novel carrier system for improvement of betulinic acid oral bioavailability and hepatoprotective activity. Journal of Molecular Liquids. 2017 Jul 1;237:361-71.
70. Harwansh RK, Mukherjee PK, Bahadur S, Biswas R. Enhanced permeability of ferulic acid loaded nanoemulsion based gel through skin against UVA mediated oxidative stress. Life sciences. 2015 Nov 15;141:202-11.
71. Harwansh RK, Patra KC, Pareta SK, Singh J, Rahman MA. Nanoemulsions as vehicles for transdermal delivery of glycyrrhizin. Brazilian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2011;47:769-78.
72. Tran TH, Guo Y, Song D, Bruno RS, Lu X. Quercetin-containing self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery system for improving oral bioavailability. Journal of pharmaceutical sciences. 2014 Mar 1;103(3):840-52.
73. Pangeni R, Kang SW, Oak M, Park EY, Park JW. Oral delivery of quercetin in oil-in-water nanoemulsion: In vitro characterization and in vivo anti-obesity efficacy in mice. Journal of functional foods. 2017 Nov 1;38:571-81.
74. Chen-yu G, Chun-fen Y, Qi-lu L, Qi T, Yan-wei X, Wei-na L, Guang-Xi Z. Development of a quercetin-loaded nanostructured lipid carrier formulation for topical delivery. International journal of pharmaceutics. 2012 Jul 1;430(1-2):292-8.
75. Pool H, Mendoza S, Xiao H, McClements DJ. Encapsulation and release of hydrophobic bioactive components in nanoemulsion-based delivery systems: impact of physical form on quercetin bioaccessibility. Food & function. 2013;4(1):162-74.
76. Bose S, Du Y, Takhistov P, Michniak-Kohn B. Formulation optimization and topical delivery of quercetin from solid lipid based nanosystems. International journal of Pharmaceutics. 2013 Jan 30;441(1-2):56-66.
77. Khatoon K, Ali A, Ahmad FJ, Hafeez Z, Rizvi M, Akhter S, Beg S. Novel nanoemulsion gel containing triple natural bio-actives combination of curcumin, thymoquinone, and resveratrol improves psoriasis therapy: in vitro and in vivo studies. Drug Delivery and Translational Research. 2021 Jun;11(3):1245-60.
78. Rathod S, Shinde K, Shinde N, Aloorkar N. Cosmeceuticals and Nanotechnology in Beauty Care Products. Research Journal of Topical and Cosmetic Sciences. 2021 Dec 22;12(2):93-101.
79. Kanchan R. Pagar, A. B. Darekar. Nanoemulsion: A new concept of Delivery System. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2019; 9(1):39-46.
80. Rahul P. Jadhav, Vikranti W. Koli, Amruta B. Kamble, Dr. Mangesh A. Bhutkar. A Review on Nanoemulsion. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2020; 10(2):103-108.
81. Uma Sankari K, Alagusundaram M, G Krishna Sahithi, C Madhu Sudhana Chetty, S Ramkanth, S Angalaparameswari, TS Mohammed Saleem. Nanoemulsions - Approaching Thermodynamic Stability. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 3(2): April- June 2010; Page 319-326.
82. Rathod S, Mali S, Shinde N, Aloorkar N. Cosmeceuticals and Beauty Care Products: Current trends with future prospects. Research Journal of Topical and Cosmetic Sciences. 2020;11(1):45-51.
83. Akkas Ali Ahmed, Suvakanta Dash. Application of Novel Nanoemulsion in Drug Targeting. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(8): 2809-2818.
84. Wasim Khan, Vaseem Ahmad Ansari, Zeashan Hussain3, Noor Fatima Siddique. Nanoemulsion: A Droplet Nanocarrier System for Enhancing Bioavailability of Poorly Water Soluble Drugs. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(11): 5191-5196.
85. Vishali Mathialagan, Abimanyu Sugumaran, Damodharan Narayanaswamy. Nanoemulsion: Importance in Pharmaceutical Nanotechnology. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(4):2005-2010.
86. Asif Eqbal, Vaseem Ahamad Ansari, Abdul Hafeez, Farogh Ahsan, Mohd Imran, Saquib Tanweer. Recent Applications of Nanoemulsion Based Drug Delivery System: A Review. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(5):2852-8.
87. Asif Eqbal, Vaseem Ahamad Ansari, Abdul Hafeez, Farogh Ahsan, Mohd Imran, Saquib Tanweer. Recent Applications of Nanoemulsion Based Drug Delivery System: A Review. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(5):2852-8.
88. Somsubhra Ghosh, Sowjanya Bomma, V. Laxmi Prasanna, P. Srivani, David Bhanji. New Analytical Methods in Nanotechnology-A Review. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 3(1): Jan.-Mar. 2013; Page 31-41.