Namita S. Bhosale, Aniket S. Gudur, Rishi Ramesan, Dipasha D. Rane, Pranil D. Arolkar, Afrin S. Darwajkar, Pratiksha P. Mestry, Vijay A. Jagtap
Namita S. Bhosale*, Aniket S. Gudur, Rishi Ramesan, Dipasha D. Rane, Pranil D. Arolkar, Afrin S. Darwajkar, Pratiksha P. Mestry, Vijay A. Jagtap
Yashwantrao Bhonsale College of Pharmacy, Charathe – Vazarwadi, Tal - Sawantwadi, Dist – Sindhudurg --416510 Maharashtra.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2023
This analysis focuses primarily on the several benefits of the buccal drug delivery system (BDDS) over the traditional and systemic formulation. Bypassing first pass metabolism, it aids in improving bioavailability. The formulation of this medication delivery system maintains contact with the mucosal surface, improving absorption and lengthening the resident time. Although not all medications can be administered with this approach, the majority of medications can. Because the degree of mucoadhesion is a crucial phenomenon for the buccal medication delivery system, bio adhesive polymers play a significant role in this drug delivery method. The paper discusses the advantages and disadvantages of the buccal drug delivery system, the anatomy of the oral mucosa, the mechanism of drug penetration, the use of natural polymers and permeation enhancers in the buccal drug delivery system. This evaluation also addresses currently on the market products used as buccal medication delivery systems and their potential future applications.
Cite this article:
Namita S. Bhosale, Aniket S. Gudur, Rishi Ramesan, Dipasha D. Rane, Pranil D. Arolkar, Afrin S. Darwajkar, Pratiksha P. Mestry, Vijay A. Jagtap. A Comprehensive Review on Buccal Drug Delivery System. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2023; 13(2):139-5. doi: 10.52711/2231-5713.2023.00026
Namita S. Bhosale, Aniket S. Gudur, Rishi Ramesan, Dipasha D. Rane, Pranil D. Arolkar, Afrin S. Darwajkar, Pratiksha P. Mestry, Vijay A. Jagtap. A Comprehensive Review on Buccal Drug Delivery System. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2023; 13(2):139-5. doi: 10.52711/2231-5713.2023.00026 Available on: https://ajptonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-13-2-12
1. Rao NR, Shravani B, Reddy MS. Overview on buccal drug delivery systems. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2013 Apr 1; 5(4):80.
2. Fathima SR, Kumar SN, Rao BN, Ruksana S, Harish P, Joy S, Divya S, Ayesha S. Mucoadhesive Buccal Patches-A Review.
3. Parmar HG, Jain JJ, Patel TK, Patel VM. Buccal patch: A technical note. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res. 2010; 4(3):2010.
4. Zavyalov AV, Rykov SV, Lunina NA, Sushkova VI, Yarotsky SV, Berezina OV. Plant polysaccharide xyloglucan and enzymes that hydrolyze it. Russian Journal of Bioorganic Chemistry. 2019 Dec; 45(7):845-59.
6. Mohnen D. Pectin structure and biosynthesis. Current Opinion in Plant Biology. 2008 Jun 1; 11(3):266-77.
7. Masuelli M, Blumenberg M. Pectins: extraction, purification, Characterization and applications. BoD–Books on Demand; 2020 Jan 22.
8. Kou SG, Peters LM, Mucalo MR. Chitosan: A review of sources and preparation methods. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 2021 Feb 1; 169:85-94.
10. Karayannakidis PD, Zotos A. Fish processing by-products as a potential source of gelatin: A review. Journal of Aquatic Food Product Technology. 2016 Jan 2; 25(1):65-92.
12. Koyi PK, Khan AB. Buccal patches: a review. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2013 Jan 1; 4(1):83.
14. Sharma N, Jain S, Sardana S. Buccoadhesive drug delivery system: a review. Journal of Advanced Pharmacy Education & Research Jan-Mar. 2013; 3(1):9-12.