In the current advancement in drug delivery, oral route remains the convenient and preferred route for the administration of drug to achieve better therapeutic advantages, which leads to patient compliance. Medicated oral jellies are the most attractive dosage forms for paediatrics and can be ingested without water. It is alternative to solid and liquid dosage forms. The oral medicated jellies are prepared by heating method using various kinds of polymer with different concentration. As most of the pharmaceutical drugs are bitter in taste so, taste masking is an important parameter in designing the dosage form and it is mainly done by adding sweetener and flavours. Various evaluation parameters are conducted like synergesis, viscosity, in vitro drug release, drug content.
Cite this article:
Sonali. T. Gade. A Review article on Oral Jellies for Pediatrics. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2020; 10(3):207-212. doi: 10.5958/2231-5713.2020.00034.3
Sonali. T. Gade. A Review article on Oral Jellies for Pediatrics. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2020; 10(3):207-212. doi: 10.5958/2231-5713.2020.00034.3 Available on: https://ajptonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-10-3-13
1. Eisert. W and Gruber.P, “US 6,015,577 B1: Pharmaceutical compositions containing dipyridamole or mopidamol and acetylsalicylic acid or the physiologically acceptable salts thereof; processes for www.ondrugdelivery.com
2. Frederick Furness Publishing preparing them and their use in treating clot formation”, assigned to Dr. Karl Thomae GbH.
3. Prakash K, Satyanarayana V, Nagiat H, Fathi A, Shanta A, Prameela A. Formulation development and evaluation of novel oral jellies ofcarbamazepineusing pectin, guar gum, and gellan gum. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2014 Oct1:241.
4. Hooda R, Tripathi M, Kapoor K. A review on oral mucosal drug delivery system. The Pharma Innovation. 2012 Mar1;1(1).
5. Tabak, L.A., Levine, M.J., Mandel, I.D. and Ellison, S.A., Role of salivary mucins in the protection of the oral cavity, J. Oral Pathol., 1982;11:1-17.
6. College open stax Anatomy & Physiology (Jun 9;2013) Connexions Website.https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File %3 A2401_ Components_of_the_Digestive_System.jpg 6.Steemit.com. (2017).Available at:https://steemit.com/science/ @timsaid/life-explorers- the-human-senses-part-iv-taste.
7. Sharma V., Chopra H. Role of taste and taste masking of bitter drugs in pharmaceutical industries an overview. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci. 2010;2(4):123- 5.
8. Biologyboom.com. (2017). Write a note on taste buds Biology Boom. Available at: http://biologyboom.com/write-a-note-on-taste-buds/
9. Thoke SB, Gayke A, Dengale R, Patil P, Sharma Y. Review on: taste masking approaches and evaluation of taste masking. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2012;4(2):1895-907.
10. Bio1152.nicerweb.com. (2017). taste.html 50_13SweetReceptor-L.jpg. Available at: http://bio1152. nicerweb.com/Locked/media/ch50/taste.html
11. Bhalerao K, Gambhire S, Singh S. Taste masking to improve compliance. Int. Res. J. Pharm. App. Sci. 2013;3: 224-37.
12. Roy G.M. Taste masking in oral pharmaceuticals. Pharm. Tech 1994; 18, 84-99.
13. Tripathi A, Parmar D, Patel U, Patel G, DaslaniyaD, BhimaniB. Taste masking: a novel approach for bitter and obnoxious drugs. JPSBR. 2011;1(3):36- 142.
14. Panda BP, Dey NS, Rao ME. Development of innovative orally fast disintegrating film dosage forms: a review. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2012;5(2):1666-74.
15. Mehta RM. Pharmaceutics–II Vallabh Prakashan. Second Edition; 2003:168-172.
16. Chiappetta DA, Hocht C, Sosnik A. A highly concentrated and taste-improved aqueous formulation of efavirenz for a more appropriate pediatric management of the anti-HIV therapy. Current HIV research. 2010 Apr1; 8(3):223-31.
17. Cardoz MR, Ravikumar P. Design, Development and Evaluation of Novel Oral Medicated Jellies. Indo American Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2017 Jun1;4(6):1746-54.