Herbal cosmetics have growing demand on the earth market and are a precious gift of nature. Herbal formulations continuously have attracted gigantic concentration on the grounds that of their good endeavor and comparatively lesser or nil side effect with synthetic medications. Hair loss problem is of great significance to both men and women. Alopecia is the medical term for hair loss or baldness. It is a health condition in which hair is lost from some or all areas of the body, usually from the scalp. Hair loss can be caused due to different reasons, such as genetics, environmental triggers, exposure to chemicals, medicines, nutritional deficiency, extreme stress or long illness etc. This hindrance could be solved by the use of natural medicines obtained from herbs. Various herbs are being used to preclude the hair loss and remorse of hairs. Herbs are starting material for any medicine research. Approximately about 80% residents recommended herbal drugs for their beneficial effects along with fewer side effects as compared synthetic drugs.
Cite this article:
Pooja Jaunjal, Parimal Katolkar. The Wonder of Herbs to Treat – Alopecia. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 12(2):151-8. doi: 10.52711/2231-5713.2022.00026
Pooja Jaunjal, Parimal Katolkar. The Wonder of Herbs to Treat – Alopecia. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 12(2):151-8. doi: 10.52711/2231-5713.2022.00026 Available on: https://ajptonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-12-2-12
1. Nitin Kumar, Satyendra Singh, Manvi, Rajiv Gupta. Hair Growth Activity of Trichosanthes dioica R. Leaves. Research J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 2011; 3(1): 30-33.
3. Barve K, Dighe A. Hair. InThe Chemistry and Applications of Sustainable Natural Hair Products 2016 (pp. 1-3).
4. Sharma Mukesh, Ajazuddin, V.Minu, Soni Sonam,Jyotsna, Rashmi, Hansa, Deepaveni, Hempushpa, Tripathi D.K.. A Survey on Marketed Products Having Significance Role in Hair Loss Treatment: Bhilai-Durg City 2011-12. Res. J. Topical and Cosmetic Sci. 3(1): July-Dec. 2012 page 37-39.
5. Chitme HR, Alok SH, Jain SK, Sabharwal MO. Herbal treatment for urinary stones. Int J Pharm Sci Res. 2010;1(2):24-31.
6. .Stenn KS, Paus R. Controls of hair follicle cycling. Physiological reviews. 2001.
7. Ito T. Recent advances in the pathogenesis of autoimmune hair loss disease alopecia areata. Clinical and Developmental Immunology. 2013 Jan 1;2013.
8. Zhang J, Fu S, Liu S, Mao T, Xiu R. The therapeutic effect of Ginkgo biloba extract in SHR rats and its possible mechanisms based on cerebral microvascular flow and vasomotion. Clinical hemorheology and microcirculation. 2000 Jan 1;23(2, 3, 4):133-8.
9. Sharquie KE, Al‐Obaidi HK. Onion juice (Allium cepa L.), a new topical treatment for alopecia areata. The Journal of dermatology. 2002 Jun;29(6):343-6.
10. Hay IC, Jamieson M, Ormerod AD. Randomized trial of aromatherapy: successful treatment for alopecia areata. Archives of dermatology. 1998 Nov 1;134(11):1349-52.
11. Saraswat Nikita, Pal S Rashmi, Pal Yogendra, Wal Pranay, Wal Ankita, Rai A. K. Poly Herbal Hair Oil Preparation, Standardization, Treatment and Evaluation for Alopecia in Male Wistar Rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2019; 12(2):757-763. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2019.00134.3
12. Muradoglu F, Oguz HI, Yildiz K. Some chemical composition of walnut (Juglansregia L.) selections from Eastern Turkey. African Journal of Agricultural Research. 2010 Sep 4;5(17):2379-85.
13. Harada N, Okajima K, Arai M, Kurihara H, Nakagata N. Administration of capsaicin and isoflavone promotes hair growth by increasing insulin-like growth factor-I production in mice and in humans with alopecia. Growth hormone and IGF research. 2007 Oct 1;17(5):408-15.
14. Jadhav VM, Thorat RM, Kadam VJ, Gholve SB. Kesharaja: hair vitalizing herbs. International Journal of PharmTech Research. 2009;1(3):454-67.
15. Rochmah Kurnijasanti, Amaq Fadholly. Cytotoxic Effect of Capsicum annum L. extract on T47D Cells: In vitro Study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(6):3389-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00589
16. Kapoor LD. Handbook of Ayurvedic Medicinal Plants, CRC press. Inc., Boca Ration,
17. Roy RK, Thakur M, Dixit VK. Hair growth promoting activity of Eclipta alba in male albino rats. Archives of Dermatological Research. 2008 Aug;300(7):357-64.
18. Singh S, Thakral S, Chabbra A. Acanthus Ilicifolius Linn.–Traditional Importance of Less known Medicinal Plants. Florida, USA. 1990.
19. Thorat RM, Jadhav VM, Kadam VJ. Development and evaluation of polyherbal formulations for hair growth-promoting activity. Int J Pharm Tech Res. 2009 Oct;1(4):1251-4.
20. Roy RK, Thakur M, Dixit VK. Development and evaluation of polyherbal formulation for hair growth–promoting activity. Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology. 2007 Jun;6(2):108-12.
21. Anshita Gupta , Goutam Kumar Jana, Manmohan Singh Jangdey, Deependra Soni. Exploration of Anti-inflammatory Activity of Aquaeous Extract of Hibiscus rosa sinesis (Malvacae). Res. J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochem. 2014; 6(3): 109-111.
22. Kapoor LD. CRC handbook of Ayurvedic medicinal plants. CRC press; 2018 Jan 18.
23. Rho SS, Park SJ, Hwang SL, Lee MH, Kim CD, Lee IH, Chang SY, Rang MJ. The hair growth promoting effect of Asiasari radix extract and its molecular regulation. Journal of Dermatological Science. 2005 May 1;38(2):89-97.
24. N. Sampath Kumar, G. Madhurambal. Cucurbitacin Glycosides from the fruits of Citrullus colocynthis (L). Research J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 2010; 2(3): 200-202.
25. Finley Ellingwood MD. American materiamedica, therapeutics and pharmacognosy.
26. Semwal BC, Agrawal KK, Singh K, Tandon S, Sharma S. Alopecia: switch to herbal medicine. Journal of Pharmaceutical Research And Opinion. 2011;1(4):101-4
27. Walid Belmaghraoui, Amina Manni, Mourad Harir, Abdelkarim Filali-Maltouf, Oum Kaltoum El Fatni, Souad El Hajjaji. Phenolic Compounds Quantification, Antioxidant and Antibacterial Activities of Different Parts of Urtica dioica and Chenopodium murale. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(12): 5490-5496. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2018.01000.4
28. Manore D., Pillai S., Joshi A., Punashiya R. Preliminary Phytochemical Screening and Antibacterial Activity of Ethyl Acetate Extract of Cuscuta reflexa Roxb. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 5(1): Jan. 2012; Page 79-82.
29. S.D Mankar, M.S. Bhosale, Mohini Shelke, Pankaj Sonawane. A Review on Murraya koenigii: for Hair Growth Promoter. Res. J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochem. 2021; 13(1):39-43. doi: 10.5958/0975-4385.2021.00007.8
30. R. Shah, S. A. Mohite, N. R. Patel. Preparation and Evaluation of Polyherbal Hair Oil- An Effective Cosmetic. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2018; 8(1):36-38. doi: 10.5958/2231-5691.2018.00007.2