B. Hemalatha, T. Pavani Priya, K. Manasa, Ch. Greeshmika, P. Kavya, Shaik Sayeeda Sarah, K. Padmalatha
B. Hemalatha1*, T. Pavani Priya1, K. Manasa1, Ch. Greeshmika1, P. Kavya1, Shaik Sayeeda Sarah1, K. Padmalatha2
1Department of Pharmaceutics, Vijaya Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences for Women, Vijayawada.
2Department of Pharmacology, Vijaya Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences for Women, Vijayawada.
Volume - 12,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2022
Emulgel is one of the promising topical drug delivery system for the delivery of hydrophobic drugs which overcome a variety of disadvantages of ointments and creams like greasiness as well as phase inversion. The aim of present work was to develop and evaluate Oxiconazole emulgel. Oxiconazole emulgel was prepared by using polymers like Carbopol 934 and HPMC K4M at different concentrations. Oxiconazole is a broad spectrum anti - fungal agent used in treat of various skin infections such as athlete’s foot, jock itch and ring worm. The prepared emulgels were evaluated in terms of physical appearance, measurement of pH, viscosity, spreadability, drug content and in vitro diffusion studies and skin irritation study. Formulation F1 containing carbapol 934 is considered as optimized formulation because it showed highest drug release i.e., 58.57% in 8 hrs.
Cite this article:
B. Hemalatha, T. Pavani Priya, K. Manasa, Ch. Greeshmika, P. Kavya, Shaik Sayeeda Sarah, K. Padmalatha. Optimization of Oxiconazole Topical Emulgel Formulation for the Treatment of Skin Infections. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 12(3):232-6. doi: 10.52711/2231-5713.2022.00038
B. Hemalatha, T. Pavani Priya, K. Manasa, Ch. Greeshmika, P. Kavya, Shaik Sayeeda Sarah, K. Padmalatha. Optimization of Oxiconazole Topical Emulgel Formulation for the Treatment of Skin Infections. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 12(3):232-6. doi: 10.52711/2231-5713.2022.00038 Available on: https://ajptonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-12-3-7
1. A. S. Panwar, N. Upadhyay, M. Bairagi, S. Gujar, G.N. Darwhekar, D. K. Jain. Emulgel: A Review. Asian J Pharmacy and Life Sci 2011; 1(3): 333-343.
2. Bhatt P, Gnanaranjan G. Emulgel: A Novel Formulation Approach for Topical delivery of Hydrophobic Drugs. Int Res J Pharm. 2013; 4(2):12-16.
3. Dalia Abd El- Rhman, Md El- Nabarawi and Doaa A. Helal. Pharmaceutical Studies on Fluconazole Topical Emulgel. Indian Streams Research Journal 2014; 4(5): 1-14.
4. EI Laithy HM, EI Shaboury KM. The Development of Cutinalipogels and gel micro emulsion for topical administration of fluconazole. AAPS Pharm Sci Tech. 2002; 3(4):35-45.
5. Haneefa KPM, Mohanta GP, Nayar C. Emulgel: An Advanced Review. Journal of Pharm Sci Res. 2013; 5(12):254-258.
6. Jain A, Deveda P, Vyas N, Chuhan J, Khambete H, Jain S. Development of Antifungal Emulsion based gel for Topical fungal infection. Int J Pharm Res Dev 2011; 2(12).
7. Joshi Baibhav, Singh Gurpreet and Saini Seema. Development and Characterization of Clarithromycin Emulgel for Topical Delivery. Int. Journal of Drug Development and Research 2012; 4(3): 310-323.
8. Joshi Baibhav, Singh Gurpreet, Rana A.C, Saini Seema, SinglaVikas. Emulgel a comprehensive review on recent advances in topical delivery. IRJP 2011; 2(11), 66-70.
9. Kuller R, Saini S, Seth N, Rana AC. Emulgel a surrogate approach for topical used hydrophobic drugs. Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2011; 1(3):117-128.
10. Kumar L, Verma R. In vitro Evaluation of topical gel prepared using natural polymer. Int J Drug Delivery 2010; 2: 58-63.
11. Kumar S, Singh N, Satish, Arora SC. Emulgel: An Insight. European J Pharm Med Res.2015; 2(4):1168-1186.
12. Mohamed MI. Optimization of Cholrphensin emulgel formulation. AAPS J 2004; 6:81-87.
13. Monica Rao, GirishSukre and Manmeet Kumar. Optimization of Metronidazole Emulgel. Journal of Pharmaceutics 2012; 2013: 1-9.
14. Madhu Madhan, Amrita Bajaj and Netal Amrutiya. Formulation and In vitro Evaluation of Topical Emulgel containing combination of a local anaesthetic and antiinflamatory drug. Indian J. Pharm. Educ. Res. 2009; 43(4): 10-19.
15. Pottala Swathi, KiranVema. Formulation and Evaluation of Aceclofenac Topical Emulgel. Int. Journal of Advance Pharm. Sci. and Innovative Research Development 2015; 3(1): 52-57.
16. Rathore RPS, Neema RK. Formulation and Evaluation of topical gels of Ketoprofen. Asian J Pharm Clinical Res 2008; (1):12-16.
17. Julie Milano, Simone Goncalves Cardoso. Spectrophotometric determination of oxiconazole in topical lotion using methyl orange. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2005; 37(4): 639-42.
18. Shailendra Kumar Sah, AshutoshBadola and Sayantan Mukhopadhyay. Development and Evaluation of Tioconazole Loaded Emulgel”. Int J App Pharm. 2017; 9(5): 83-90.
19. Single V, Saini S, Joshi B, Rana AC. Emulgel: a new platform for topical drug delivery. Int J Pharma Biological Sci 2012; 3:485-498.
20. Snehal P. Mulye, Kiran A. Wadkar and Manish S. Kondawar. Formulation development and evaluation of Indomethacin Emulgel. Pelagia Research Library 2013; 4(5): 31-45.
21. Soosai Raj ELP, Balakrishnan S. Short Review-Emulgel. J Comp Phar 2016; 3(1): 34-37.
22. Sunil Kumar Yadav, Manoj kumar Mishra, Anupamaa Tiwari, AshutoshShukla. Emulgel: a new approach for enhanced topical drug delivery. Int J Curr Pharma Res 2017; 9(1):15-19.
23. S. Z. Chemate and Rahul M. Anbhule. Formulation and Evaluation of Terbinafine Hydrochloride Film Forming Emulgel. Int. J. Drug Res. Tech. 2016; 6(3): 164-174.