Rina G. Maskare, Nitin H. Indurwade, Aparna O. Yadav, Ajita S. Kesharwani, Aishwarya A. Jain, Vishal K. Bisen, Angat T. Kotangale
Rina G. Maskare*, Nitin H. Indurwade, Aparna O. Yadav, Ajita S. Kesharwani, Aishwarya A. Jain, Vishal K. Bisen, Angat T. Kotangale
Manoharbhai Patel Institute of B, Pharmacy, Gondia, Maharashtra (441614).
Volume - 11,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2021
The present work concerned with formulation and evaluation of fast disintegrating tablet of Topiramate by using natural superdisintegrants like Trigonellafoenum graceum (fenugreek) powder, Plantago ovata powder, dehydrated banana powder, soy polysaccharide, linseed powder. Topiramate is an antiepileptic drug and also used in migraine. Preformulation studies like solubility, melting point were studied. Five formulations were prepared using different natural superdisintegrant with same concentrations by using direct compression method. All the formulations were evaluated for precompression parameters and all the parameters were found to be within the pharmacopoeial limits. Post compression parameters like hardness of the tablet, thickness of the tablet, friability test, weight variation, disintegration test, in-vitro dissolution test, drug content were performed. The formulation F-5 containing Trigonellafoenum-graceum (fenugreek) powder shown disintegration time of 12sec. Rapid disintegration of the Trigonellafoenum-graceum due to its rapid water absorbency swells in water to the extent of 200–300% disintegrates rapidly for quick and complete disintegration of the tablet. An accelerated stability study on optimized formulation was performed and it was found to be stable. It can be concluded that Trigonellafoenum-graceum (fenugreek) powder as Superdisintegrant showed better release than soy polysaccharide, plantago ovata powder, dehydrated banana powder and linseed powder.
Cite this article:
Rina G. Maskare, Nitin H. Indurwade, Aparna O. Yadav, Ajita S. Kesharwani, Aishwarya A. Jain, Vishal K. Bisen, Angat T. Kotangale. Natural Superdisintegrant: Opportunity in Oral Drug Delivery System. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 11(2):135-0. doi: 10.52711/2231-5713.2021.00022
Rina G. Maskare, Nitin H. Indurwade, Aparna O. Yadav, Ajita S. Kesharwani, Aishwarya A. Jain, Vishal K. Bisen, Angat T. Kotangale. Natural Superdisintegrant: Opportunity in Oral Drug Delivery System. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 11(2):135-0. doi: 10.52711/2231-5713.2021.00022 Available on: https://ajptonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-11-2-7
1. Jaswal V, Gupta GD, Jaiswal S. Formulation and evaluation of dispersible tablets of amoxicillin trihydrate using natural disintegrants. Indo American Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2014;4: 2910.
2. NEEHARIKA V. Comparative evaluation of natural and synthetic superdisintegrants in the formulation of fast dissolving tablets. Turk J Pharm Sci. 2013;10(3):351-66.
3. Chinthamreddy R. Formulation and In Vitro Evaluation Studies on Oral Disintegrating Tablets of Ambroxol Hydrochloride by Using Natural Super Disintegrants (Doctoral dissertation, College of Pharmacy, JKK Munirajah Medical Research Foundation, Komarapalayam).
5. Arun R. Comparative evaluation of potato starch and banana powder as disintegrating agents in aceclofenac tablet formulation. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Science. 2013;5(2):204-7.
6. Haranath C, Muralidhar P, Harish P, Reddy CS. Comparative Study of Natural and Synthetic Superdisintegrating Agents in the Formulation of Oral Dispersible Tablets of Escitalopram-IP.
7. Chouhan S, Darwhekar GN, Gupta A. Formulation and evaluation of orodispersible tablet of rosuvastatin using cassia tora seeds mucilage as natural superdisintegrant.
8. Prajapati B, Kaur S, SA R. Formulation and evaluation of mouth dissolving Sublingual tablets of Cimetidine to treat abdominal cramps. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Science Invention. 2014;9: 41-6.
9. Avachat A, Gujar KN, Kotwal VB, Patil S. Isolation and evaluation of fenugreek seed husk as a granulating agent. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2007;69(5):676.
10. Haranath C, Muralidhar P, Harish P, Reddy CS. Comparative Study of Natural and Synthetic Superdisintegrating Agents in the Formulation of Oral Dispersible Tablets of Escitalopram-IP.
11. Khinchi MP, Gupta MK, Bhandari A, Agarwal D, Sharma N. Studies on the disintegrant properties of seed powder, husk powder and mucilage of Plantago ovata by formulation of orally disintegrating tablet. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2011 Jan 1;2(1):145.
12. Mohammad Hassan Houshdar Tehrani, RumeysaBatal, Mohammad Kamalinejad, ArashMahbubi, (2014), Journal of Plant Science-“Extraction and purification of flaxseed proteins and studying their antibacterial activities” Retrieved from, http://article.sciencepublishinggroup.com/pdf/10.11648.j.jps.20140201.21.pdf
14. Baghel P, Roy A, Chandrakar S, Bahadur S. Fast dissolving drug delivery systems: a brief review. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2013;6(6):597-602.
15. Pawan P, Ashwani S, Mayur SN. Formulation. Evaluation and Optimization of Piroxicam Fast Dissolving Tablets using Treated Agar as a Natural Disinegrant International Research Journal of Pharmacy. 2011;2: 159-62.
16. Atram SC. Formulation and evaluation of immediate release tablet using response surface methodology. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutics (AJP): Free full text articles from Asian J Pharm. 2014 Aug 23;5(1).
17. Kumar ES, Ishaq BM, Muneer S, Sreedhar V, Ahad HA, Prakash KV. Formulation and evaluation of bilayer tablet containing Metronidazole as an immediate release layer and Norfloxacin as a sustain release layer. Indo American Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2014 Jul 1;1(1):1-0.