Siddhi Prakash Fogueri, Sanyuja Satish Nikam, Mukund Vivek Gawade, Harshada Suresh Shetye, Akshata Anil Thakur, Tanvi Ganesh Valanju, Vijay Arjun Jagtap
Siddhi Prakash Fogueri*, Sanyuja Satish Nikam, Mukund Vivek Gawade, Harshada Suresh Shetye, Akshata Anil Thakur, Tanvi Ganesh Valanju, Vijay Arjun Jagtap
Yashwantrao Bhonsale College of Pharmacy, Sawantwadi, Maharashtra, India.
Volume - 10,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2020
Extraction is an important step for separation, identification and use of valuable components from different plants. It is necessary to optimize extraction methodology so as to achieve maximum extraction efficiency. Quality of extract is influenced by several factors such as particle size of plant material, time, solvent choice, solvent/solute ratio and time of extraction. in the present study effect of various parameters studied in order to obtain highest yield of Curcuma longa (rhizomes) using conventional and novel methods of extraction. The parameters sets were particle size of #10, #20, #40, time 30min, 60min (maceration), 10min, 20min (ultrasound assisted extraction), 5min, 10min (microwave assisted extraction), choice of solvent was methanol, ethyl acetate and solvent/solute ratio of 10/5 and 20/5. The Result indicates: In maceration, solvent Methanol with particle size of #20 and solvent/solute ratio of 20/5 at 60 min has shown highest % yield of 21.67%. In ultrasound assisted extraction, a highest yield of 21.81% was reported in solvent Ethyl acetate with particle size of #20 and solvent/solute ratio of 20/5 at 20 min. In microwave assisted extraction, a highest yield of 22.38% was reported in solvent Methanol with particle size of #10 and solvent/solute ratio of 20/5 at 3 min.
Cite this article:
Siddhi Prakash Fogueri, Sanyuja Satish Nikam, Mukund Vivek Gawade, Harshada Suresh Shetye, Akshata Anil Thakur, Tanvi Ganesh Valanju, Vijay Arjun Jagtap. Comparative Study on Conventional and Novel Methods for the Extraction of Curcuma longa. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2020; 10(4):223-227. doi: 10.5958/2231-5713.2020.00037.9
1. Swami HS, Khanuja SS, Longo G, Rakesh DD. Extraction technologies for Medicinal and Aromatic plants. Trieste: Int Centre Sci High Techno. 2008:30-34.
2. Danlami JM, Arsad A, Saini MA, Suleiman H. A Comparative study of various Oil extraction techniques from plants. Rev. Chem Eng. 2014; 30(6):605-626.
4. CK Kokate, AP Purohit and SB Gokhale. Pharmacognosy. Nirali Prakashan. 50th edition, pg. no. 14.133-14.135.
5. Kavirayani Indira Priyadarsini. The Chemistry of Curcumin: From Extraction to Therapeutic agent. Molecules. 2014; 19:20091-20112.
6. M Akram, Shahab-Uddin, Afzal Ahmed, Khan Usmanghani. Curcuma Longa and Curcumin: A Review Article. Rom. J. Biol. - Plant Biol. Bucharest, 2010; 55(2):65-70.
7. Hamid Nasri, Majmeh Sahinfard, Mortaza Rafieian, et. al. Turmeric: A Spice with multifunctional medicinal properties. Journal of Herb Med Pharmacology. 2014; 3(1):5-8.
8. Radha K Maheshwari, Anoop K Singh, Jaya Gaddipati, et. al. Multiple biological activities of Curcumin: A Short Review. Life Sciences 78. 2006; 2081-2087.
9. Anny Sartika Daulay, M Taufik, Ridwanto, Ricky Andi Syahputra, Astriliana. Effect of Particle Size on Fresh Turmeric (Curcuma longa L.) and Simplicia Toward Content of Curcumin Compound. AISTSSE 2018, October 18-19, Medan, Indonesia.
10. Foozie Sahne, Maedeh Mohammadi. Extraction of Bioactive Compound Curcumin from Turmeric (Curcuma longa L.) via Different Routes: A Comparative Study. Pak. J. Biotechnol. 2016; 13(3):173-180.
11. Kamble KJ, Ingale VM, Kaledhonkar DP. Comparative Study of Curcumin Extraction from Turmeric Varieties grown in Maharashtra. African Journal of Food Science. 30 Nov 2011; 5(14):780-789.
12. Barve KH, Laddha KS, Jayakumar B. Extraction of Saponins from Safed Musli. Pharm J. 2012; 2(13):561-564.
13. Deng J, Xu Z, Xiang C, Liu J, Zhou L, Li T, et al. Comparative Evaluation of Maceration and Ultrasonic-Assisted Extraction of Phenolic Compounds from fresh Olives. Ultrason Sonochem. 2017; 37:328334.
15. Vivekananda Mandal, Saikat Dewanjee, Ranabir Sahu and Subhash C Mandal. Design and Optimization of Ultrasound Assisted Extraction of Curcumin as an Effective Alternative for Conventional Solid Liquid Extraction of Natural Products. Natural Products Communications. 2009; 4(1):95-100.
17. Harshal Pawar, Mugdha Karde, Nilesh Mundle, Pravin Jadhav and Kavita Mehra. Phytochemical Evaluation and Curcumin Content Determination of Turmeric Rhizomes Collected from Bhandara District of Maharashtra (India). Medicinal Chemistry. 2014; 4(8):588-591.
18. Harshal Ashok Pawar, Amit Gavasane, Pritam Choudhary. A Novel and Simple Approach for Extraction and Isolation of Curcuminoids from Turmeric Rhizomes. Natural Products Chemistry and Research, an open access journal. 2018; 6(1):1-4.
19. Werayut Pothitirat and Wandee Gritsanapan. Quantitative Analysis of Curcumin, Demethoxycurcumin and Bisdemethoxycurcumin in the Crude Curcuminoid Extract from Curcuma longa in Thailand by TLCDensitometry. Mahidol University Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2005; 32(1-2): 23-30.
20. Liao J, Qu B, Liu D, Zheng N. New method to enhance the extraction yield of Rutin from Sophora japonica using a Novel Ultrasonic Extraction System by determining optimum Ultrasonic Frequency. Ultrason Sonochem. 2015; 27:110-116.
21. Mustafa Bener, Mustafa Ozyurek, Kubilay Guclu and Resat Apak. Optimization of Microwave-Assisted Extraction of Curcumin from Curcuma longa L. (Turmeric) and Evaluation of Antioxidant Activity in Multi-Test Systems.Record of Natural Products, ACG Publications. 2016; 10(5): 542-554.
22. Ranitha M, Abdurahman H Nour, Ziad A Sulaiman, Azhari H Nour, and Thana Raj S. A Comparative Study of Lemongrass (Cymbopogon Citratus) Essential Oil Extracted by Microwave-Assisted Hydrodistillation (MAHD) and Conventional Hydrodistillation (HD) Method. Internation Journal of Chemical Engineering and Applocations. April 2014; 5(2):104-108.
23. Anamika Bagchi. Extraction of Curcumin. IOSR Journal of Environmental Science, Toxicology and Food Technology (IOSR-JESTFT). 2012; 1(3):1-16.
24. Sogi SD, Sharma S, and Wani AI. Effect of Extraction parameters on Curcumin yield from Turmeric. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2010; 47(3):300-304.
25. SJ Kulkarni, KN Maske, MP Nuste and RP Mahajan. Extraction and Purification of Curcuminoids from Turmeric (Curcuma longa L.). International Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmaceutical Technology (IJPPT). 2017; 1(2):81-84.
26. Divya Sharad Kasarle. Quantitative Estimation of Purified Turmeric Extract Components using TLC and HPLC. International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology. July 2017; 6(7):13730-13735.
27. Mahaveer Dhobi, Vivekananda Mandal, Siva Hemalatha. Optimization of Microwave Assisted Extraction of Bioactive Flavonolignan – Silybinin. Journal of Chemical Metrology. 2009; 3(1):13-23.
28. Yucel Baspinar, Mehmet Ustundas, Oguz Bayraktar. Response Surface Methodology for Extraction of Curcumin from Turmeric and Piperine from Black Pepper. Celal Bayar University Journal of Science. 13(3):747-754.
29. Nafiu MO, Hamid AA, Muritala HF, Adeyemi SB. Preparation, standardization, and quality control of medicinal plants in Africa. In Med Spices and Vegetables from Africa 2017 Jan 1 (pp. 171-204). Academic Press.
30. Himanshu Misra, Darshana Mehta, BK Mehta and DC Jain. Microwave-Assisted Extraction studies of Target Analyte Artemisinin from Dried Leaves of Artemisia annua L. Hindawi Publishing Corporation Organic Chemistry International. 2013; 1-6.
31. Olayemi RF. Comparative Study of Roots, Stalk and Leaf Essential Oils of Cymbopogon Citratus (Lemon Grass). Chem Search Journal. June 2017; 8(1):20-28.
32. Makiko Takenaka, Takeshi Ohkubo, Hiroshi Okadome, Itaru Sotome, Toshihiro Itoh and Seiichiro Isobe. Effective Extraction of Curcuminoids by Grinding Turmeric (Curcuma longa) with Medium-chain Triacylglycerols. Foof Sci. Technol. Res. 2013; 19(4):655-659.
33. Ashok Kumar Popuri, Bangaraiah Pagala. Extraction of Curcumin from Turmeric Roots. International Journal of Innovative Research and Studies. May 2013; 2(5):289-299.
34. Mehdi Nabati, Mehrdad Mahkam, Hassan Heidari. Isolation and Characterization of Curcumin from powdered rhizomes of Turmeric plant marketed in Maragheh city of Iran with Soxhlet technique. Iranian Chemical Communication. 2014; 2:236-243.
35. Bouzabata Amel. Microscopic Analysis of Curcuma longa L. using Multivariate Test. International Journal of Pharmacognosy. 2015; 2(4):173-177.
36. Sayyada Khatoon, Harsh Singh, Anshu Rathi, Sanjeev Kumar Ojha and AKS Rawat. Standardization of an Ayurvedic Formulation- Kalyanavleha and estimantion of Curcumin using HPTLC.Indian J Traditional Knowledge. July 2014; 13(3):535-542.
37. Ali Mobasheri, Yves Henrotin, Hans-Konrad Biesalski and Mehdi Shakibaei. Scientific Evidence and Rationale for the Development of Curcumin and Resveratrol as Nutraceutricals for Joint Health. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 2012; 13:4202-4232.
38. D S C Wahyuni, AN Artanti, Y Rinanto. Quantitative analysis of Curcuminoid collected from different location in Indonesia by TLC-Densitometry and its antioxidant capacity. IOP Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering. 349 2018
39. Elisabetta Zerazion, Roberto Rosa, Erika Ferrari, Paolo Veronesi. Phytochemical compounds or their synthetic counterparts. A detailed comparison of the quantitative environmental assessment for the synthesis and extraction of curcumin. Green Chemistry. 2016; 18:1807-1818.
40. Rajesh H, Rao SN, Megha Rani N, Prathima K Shetty, Rejeesh EP, Chandrashekar R. Phytochemical Analysis of Methanolic Extract of Curcuma longa Linn. rhizome. International Journal of Universal Pharmacy and Bio Sciences. March-April 2013; 2(2):39-45.
41. Dixon Dhawan and Jeena Gupta. Comparison of Different Solvents for Phytochemical Extraction Potential from Datura metel Plant leaves. International Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2017; 11(1):17-22.
45. Ishita Chattopadhyay, Kaushik Biswas, Uday Bandyopadhyay, and Ranajit K Banerjee. Turmeric and Curcumin: Biological actions and Medicinal applications. Current Science. 10 July 2004; 87(1):44-53.
46. Hemant Tomar, V. K. Shukla, Kunal Arora, Nitesh Tomar, Sumit Roy, Vikash Kumar. Curcuma longa: Review of Advances in pharmacology. Research J. Pharm and Tech. 5(9): September 2012; Page 1141-1144.
47. S. Vinitha, R. V. Geetha. In vitro Anti-inflammatory activity of methanolic extract of Curcuma longa: Research J. Pharm and Tech. 8(7): July 2015; Page 943-944.
48. S. K. Purohit, R. Solanki, V. Mathur, M. Mathur. Evaluation of Wound healing activity of Ethanolic extract of Curcuma longa Rhizomes in male Albino Rats. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 3(2): April- june 2013; Page 79-81
49. Tripti Jain, V. Jain, R. Pandey, A Vyas, SS Shukla. Microwave assisted extraction for phytoconstituents- An Overview. Asian J. Reaserch Chem. 2(1): January – march 2009; Page 19-25
50. Mitesh D. Phale, Dipti korgaonkar. Current Advance Analytical Techniques: A Review. Asian J. Reaserch Chem. 2(3): July – September 2009; Page 235-238
51. MD Wandhare, UA Devkate, SS Khadabadi, SP Hadke, HA Sawarkar. Comparative Estimation of Curcumin content from Marketed Herbal Antirhemutic Tablet Formulation. Asian J. Reaserch Chem. 2(3): July – September 2009; Page 340-343
52. Akshda N. Kakade, Shrikant B. Deshmukh, Pankaj P. Chothe, Vishal V. Khot, Shriniwas K. Mohite, Chandrakant S. Magdum. A New Simple Method for Determination of Partition Coeffient by Normal Phase Thin layer chromatography. Asian J. Reaserch Chem. 5(7): July 2012; Page 922-924
53. Panchvat S., Sisodiya SS. Comparative evaluation/ Optimization of soxhlet, ultrasonic and Micowave Assisted Extraction of Ficus religiosa Linn. Research J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 2010; 2(4): 309 -312
54. Prafulla Sabale, Arjun Modi, Vidya Sabale. Curcuma longa Linn. A Phytochemical and Phytopharmacological Review. Research J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 2013; 5(2): 59-68
55. Nidhi Rao, Sandhya Mittal. An Invitro evaluation of the Antimicrobial Activity of Curcuma longa against Selected Pathogenic Microorganisms. Research J. Sci. and Tech. 6(2): April-June 2014; Page 71-74.