The aim of the present study involved the formulation and evaluation of mucoadhesive buccal tablets of anti-diabetic drug gliclazide, Mucoadhesive buccal tablets of Gliclazide are prepared by direct compression method In this present investigational research work the mucoadhesive buccal tablets of gliclazide is prepared separately employing 23 randomized full factorial design by using xanthan gum, carbopol-934, HPMC-E15LV, In this experimental model, target is to determine how the t90% of drug release and mucoadhesive characters can be affected by adjusting three parameters, concentration of polymers xanthan gum, HPMC-E15LV, carbopol-934, of the mucoadhesive buccal tablets. 2 3 full factorial studies were designed to determine the interaction of three independent variables at two levels (low and high level concentration) The tablets were tested for weight variation, hardness, surface pH, drug content uniformity, swelling index, mucoadhesion strength and in-vitro drug release study, Ex- vivo mucoadhesion time. From the drug release studies it was found that formulation H4 containing has good drug release when compared to other formulations.
Cite this article:
P. Nagaveni, Sirisha. S, C. Appa Rao. Formulation and Evaluation of Mucoadhesive Buccal Tablets of Anti-Diabetic Drug using 23 Factorial Design. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 11(4):261-6. doi: 10.52711/2231-5713.2021.00043
P. Nagaveni, Sirisha. S, C. Appa Rao. Formulation and Evaluation of Mucoadhesive Buccal Tablets of Anti-Diabetic Drug using 23 Factorial Design. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 11(4):261-6. doi: 10.52711/2231-5713.2021.00043 Available on: https://ajptonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-11-4-1
1. T. V. Thulasiramaraju, B. Tejeswar Kumar, A. Karthik Kumar, T. Naresh. Bucco- Adhesive Drug Delivery System: A Novel Drug Delivery Technique. Asian Journal of Research in Biological and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2013; 1(1): 28-46.
2. R. Jagadeeshwar Reddy, Maimuna Anjum and Mohammed Asif Hussain. A Comprehensive review on buccal drug delivery system: A review. American Journal of Advanced Drug Delivery, 2013; 1(13): 300-312.
3. Sachin Shankar Lokhande, Sandeep S. Lahoti. Buccoadhesive Drug Delivery System: Need. A review. Asian Journal of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2012; 2(14): 29-36.
4. Vyas S P, Khar R K. Controlled drug delivery-concepts and advances. 1st edition, Vallabh Prakashan, New Delhi, 2002.
5. Kumar S V, Rathinaraj B S, Bangale G S. Preformulation study of buccoadhesive monolayered tablets of carvedilol. International Journal Pharm Bio Sci., 2010; 1(2): 1-10.
6. Gibson M. pharmaceutical preformulation and formulation. 10th ed. United States of America. IHS Health Group, 2004.
7. Patel D B, Patel M M. Formulation and development of mucoadhesive tablet of diltiazem hydrochloride. Int J Pharm Bio Sci., 2010; 1(2): 1-14.
8. United States Pharmacopeia. 26th ed. Port City Press, Baltimore, 2008; 231-32.
9. Lachman L, Libberman HA, Kaing JL. The theory and practice of industrial pharmacy. 3rd ed. Mumbai. Varghese Publishing House, 1990; 296-302.
10. S.S. Gite et al., Development and Evaluation of Mucoadhesive Tablets of Atenolol and its Β-Cyclodextrin Complex. Asian Journal of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2014; 04: 25-32.
11. Vaidya VM, Manvar JV, Mahjan NM, Sakarkar DM. Design and invitro evaluation of mucoadhesive buccal tablets of terbutaline sulphate. Int J PharmTech Res., 2009; 1(3): 588-97.