A. Bhavani, B. Hemalatha, K. Padmalatha
A. Bhavani1, B. Hemalatha1*, K. Padmalatha2
1Department of Pharmaceutics, Vijaya Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences for Women, Vijayawada.
2Department of Pharmacology, Vijaya Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences for Women, Vijayawada.
Volume - 11,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2021
The present focus is on the development of sustained release formulations due to its inherent boons. There are several advantages of sustained release drug delivery over conventional dosage forms like improved patient compliance, reduction in fluctuation and increased safety margin of potent drug. The present study was aimed to prepare a sustained drug delivery system to design a controlled release oral dosage form of Cefpodoxime proxetil. The sustained release matrix tablets of Cefpodoxime proxetil were prepared by wet granulation and evaluated for different parameters such as weight variation, drug content, thickness, hardness, friability and In vitro release studies. The in vitro dissolution study was carried out for 12 hours using USP (Type- II) paddle apparatus in hydrochloride (0.1N) as dissolution media for first 2 hours and phosphate buffer (pH 6.8) for next 10 hours. Based on the in vitro dissolution data, formulation F8 was selected as the best formulation from Cefpodoxime proxetil formulations (F1 – F9) as the drug release was retarded up to 12 hours with 96.29 % and followed zero order release kinetics & drug release mechanism was diffusion.
Cite this article:
A. Bhavani, B. Hemalatha, K. Padmalatha. Formulation development and in vitro Evaluation of sustained release matrix tablets of Cefpodoxime proxetil. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 11(4):273-8. doi: 10.52711/2231-5713.2021.00045
A. Bhavani, B. Hemalatha, K. Padmalatha. Formulation development and in vitro Evaluation of sustained release matrix tablets of Cefpodoxime proxetil. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 11(4):273-8. doi: 10.52711/2231-5713.2021.00045 Available on: https://ajptonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-11-4-3
1. Prakhar Agarwal, Semimul Akhtar. A comprehensive review on sustained release matrix tablets: a promising dosage form. Universal Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2019; 3(6): 49 – 54.
2. Mayur Karvekar, Arshad Bashir Khar. A brief review on sustained release matrix type drug delivery system. Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2017; 16 (3): 282 – 289.
3. Jaimini Manish, Kothari Abhay. Sustained release matrix type drug delivery system: a review. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics. 2012; 2(6): 142 – 148.
4. Sarika S. Lokhande, Phalke N. N. and Badadare S. S. A review on sustained release technology. World Journal of Pharmaceutical and Medical Research. 2019; 5(11): 60-65.
5. Sivaramu Kambampati, J. N. Suresh Kumar, C.H. Sriram. A review on sustained release drug delivery system. International Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical and Nano Sciences. 2013; 2(4): 441 – 447.
6. Kumar Sunil, Mahajan Tejasavi, Suxam, Sohal Tania, Prashar Sonica, Malpotra Sohit, Bhandari Neeraj. Sustained release matrix tablet: a review. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2018; 7 (10): 827-839.
7. Rakesh Roshan Mali, Vaishali Goel, Sparsh Gupta. Novel Study in Sustained Release Drug Delivery System: A Review. International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Medicinal Research. 2015; 3(2): 204 - 215.
8. Sarika Pundir, Ashutosh Badola and Deepak Sharma. Sustained release matrix technology and recent advance in matrix drug delivery system: a review. International Journal of Drug Research and Technology. 2013; 3(1): 12 – 20.
9. Rohini Diwedi, S Alexandar and M J N Chandrasekar. Preparation and in vitro Evaluation of sustained release tablet formulations of Metformin Hcl. Asian J Pharm Clin Res. 2012; 5(1):45-48.
10. Patel KK, Patel MS, Bhatt NM, Patel LD, Pathak NL, Patel KJ. An overview: extended release matrix technology. Int J Pharm Chem Sci, 2012; 1(2): 828.
11. Kumar S, Kant S, Prashar B. A review on sustained release drug delivery system. Int J Inst Pharm life Sci. 2012; 2(3): 356-376.
12. Karna S, Chaturvedi S, Agrawal V, Alim M. Formulation approaches for sustained release dosage forms: a review. Asian J Pharm Clin Res. 2015; 8(5): 46-53.
13. Diwedi RO, Alexandar A, Chandrasekar MJ. Preparation and in vitro evaluation of sustained release tablet formulations of metformin HCl. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. 2012; 5(1):45-8.
14. Patnaik AN, Nagarjuna T, Thulasiramaraju TV. Sustained release drug delivery system: a modern formulation approach. International Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical and Nano Sciences. 2013; 2(5): 586 - 601.
15. Dixit Navin, Sheo, DM. Bhanu, Sagar PS. Sustained Release Drug Delivery System. Indian Journal of Research in Pharmacy and Biotechnology. 2013; 1(3): 305.
16. Chauhan MJ, Patel SA. A concise review on sustained drug delivery system and its opportunities. Am. J. Pharm Tech Res. 2012; 2(2): 227-238.
17. Kar RK, Mohapatra S, Barik BB. Design and characterization of controlled release matrix tablets of zidovudine. Asian J Pharm Cli Res. 2009; 2: 54-56.
18. Dusane AR, Gaikwad PD, Bankar VH, Pawar SP. A review on: Sustained released technology. IJRAP. 2011; 2(6): 1701-1708.
19. Sampath Kumar KP, Debjit B, Shweta S, Shravan P, Dutta AS. Sustained release drug delivery system potential. The Pharma Innovation. 2012; 1(2): 46-56.
20. Prathiba V and Bharath A. Formulation and evaluation of sustained release matrix tablets of Lamivudine, Pharma Buzz. 2008; 3(5): 24-27.
21. Kamboj S, Saroha K., Goel M, Madhu C. Sustained Release Drug Delivery System: An Overview, Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2013; 1: 169-181.
22. Pogula M., Nazeer S. Extended Release Formulation. International Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2010; 2: 625- 684.
23. Misa R., Waghmare A., Aqueel S. Matrix tablet: a promising technique for controlled drug delivery. Indo American Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2013; 3: 3791-3805.
24. Harnish Patel, Dhrupesh R. Panchal, Upendra Patel, Tushar Brahmbhatt, Mayur Suthar. Matrix Type Drug Delivery System: A Review. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Bioscientific Research. 2011; 1(3): 143-151.
25. Harris Shoaib M, Jaweria Tazeen, Hamid A. Merchant. Evaluation of drug release kinetics from Ibuprofen matrix tablets using HPMC. Pak. J. Pharm. Sci. 2006; 19(2): 119-124.
26. S. S Miyan, R. Ramesh, V.A. Ahamed. Formulation and evaluation of cefpodoxime proxetil matrix tablets by using different polymers. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2011; 4(7): 1060-1068.
27. Divya Palparthi, K. Narendra Kumar Reddy. Formulation and evaluation of cefpodoxime proxetil sustained release matrix tablets. Indian Journal of Research in Pharmacy and Biotechnology. 2013; 1(5): 758-760.
28. Krishna Murari, Amresh Gupta, Ajay Kumar Dubey, Arpita Singh, Umesh Kumar Mishra. Development of Sustained Release Floating Tablet for Cefpodoxime Proxetil (CP). eIJPPR. 2019; 9(2): 96-105.
29. Shaikh Siraj N., Makrani Shaharukh Ismail, G. J. Khan, Siddiqi Hifjurrahman Md Athar and R. L. Jadhav. Design expert software assisted development and evaluation of cefpodoxime proxetil matrix tablet. Int J Pharm Sci and Res. 2020; 11(5): 2431-43.
30. Ali Mujtaba, Kanchan kohli. In vitro/in vivo evaluation of HPMC/alginate based extended-release matrix tablets of cefpodoxime proxetil. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 2016; 89: 434-441.8(2): 74 – 80.